Living and trading in Mexico

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by jjf, Sep 14, 2007.

1. jjf

jjf

#21     Sep 14, 2007
  2. As a person who has extensive knowledge about Mexico (for a non-Mexican), I would recommend living in Mexico. It is NOT the US, but it ain't so bad. However, it is a big country and consequently climate, topography and people vary greatly from region to region. I personally like Mexico City (DF) for its access to cultural activities and its sizable wealthy portion of citizens. As long as you live in the right neighborhood, you will do fine. Also, plenty of things to do,interesting people and good private schools. Basically, if you can afford it, there is a paradise for those who can afford it. If you are white, (blond hair, blues eyes - even better), you will be accepted and welcome to the upper circle of the Mexican elite. Naturally, I presume you are making a very comfortable living trading ($250,000/year in my book), and will be able to enjoy the amenities provided for those with $$$$.
    There is plenty to do as far as high culture is concerned: theatre, opera, classy places to eat and relax, country club, superb private schools, ect. I would recommend watching Amores Perros to gain a glimpse into what life is in MX.

I would discount Acapulco and Cancun. Both places are full of tourists and as a result offer a lot of services that are associated with that sort of crowd (prostitution, cheap bars, vendors trying to sell you anything and everything, low class discos, drugs, strip places, well you get the idea). Puerto Vallarata is boring and very into tourism from the US. I did not like it.
    As fo internet, your local cable company will get you an excellent connection, however, be prepared to be disconnected from time to time, this is still Mexico after all.
    Also, Mexico is no longer cheap and property, as well as general cost of living is steadily increasing.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck with yous search!

BTW. Have you considered Argentina? And if so why did you decide to omit it?

#22     Sep 14, 2007
  3. jjf

jjf

Excellent commentary, thank you.
    We dont want to live in DF but would rather be just back from the coast.

What are your suggestions.

Yes, we do hold property in Argentina ( CF and Salta) but it is crisp in the winter and we are looking around for a base that we could live in 12 months of the year if travel becomes so complicated as to be not worth the effort.
    Also, we would like to shorten our connection with LA if possible (desirable but not essential)

Oddly enough, Arg is the top of our list so far.

#23     Sep 14, 2007
  4. Check out Mazatlan. Good amenities, property values less expensive than the PV or Acapulco. There is a very active Yahoo group frequented by many expats living there. It's very easy to obtain a residency status in Mexico (FM3) which is another plus.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MazInfo/

#24     Sep 15, 2007
  5. lar

lar

I've been doing preliminary research about relocating to Medellin, Columbia.

It was one of the most dangerous countries in the world during Pablo Escabar's reign of terror but he died in 1993. The consulate barred americans from going there but the ban was lifted in 2005. Beautiful women, perpetually perfect weather, 3 million person city, english frequently spoken and the cost of living and real estate it much cheaper than in the States.

They seem to be working hard to recover from their notorious stigma and are attempting to become a tourist attraction.

I intend to go for a week next summer via one of those marriage tours, get contact information of women who express mutual interest then come back for 3 months winter of 08 to follow up.

Could be a beautiful thing for a 50 year old single male trader.

http://www.loveme.com/tour/medellin/medellin.shtml

http://www.davestravelcorner.com/journals/publish/article_75.shtml

http://gosouthamerica.about.com/cs/southamerica/p/ColMedellin.htm

http://www.medellininfo.com/

Peace and gtty,

Lar

#25     Sep 15, 2007

6. I love Col. and I have fond memories of women from there, however there are some things to consider:

1. It is still a dangerous place to visit/live especially if you do not look like the locals and or your Spanish has a gringo accent.

2. it is one thing to go on a "tour" and meet some ladies.It is entirely different matter to resideand live there every day.

3. Do not let excellent pussy (and it is excellent), cloud your judgement.

4. Also, remember that sometimes (and in case of Col. women, most of the time) the best pussy does not equal best wife and companion. It is like driving a sporty car, it is a lot of fun but utility is just not there. Unfortunately, I am speaking from experience. :confused: :(

#26     Sep 18, 2007
  7. ivob

ivob

I love Mexico. My wife is Mexican and every year we go there for 2-3 months. It's always fun, relaxed lifestyle, nice weather, friendly people, nice beaches, cheap (not Cancun BTW), excellent food.

I'm sure internet connections is no problem there. We have a house in Colima, a medium sized city and have never experienced a problem and I rely heavily on internet every day businesswise.

Kidnapping and criminality, well, I don't like Mexico City too much and probably US border towns like Tijuana are a problem. I have never experienced any problem in the 11 years I've been going there.

I think trading from a place like that is just perfect. Getting a good job outside of Mexico City is not easy so better not be involved in the local businesses unless you start one on your own.

Healthcare: well, there's everything, good and bad hospitals.

regards,
    Ivo

#27     Sep 19, 2007
  8. lar

lar

In Lar's "Zen and the art of Excellent Pussy Maintenence" I once wrote the following -

Letting Excellent Pussy cloud one's judgement is almost always the right thing to do.

Hi Saxton22,

Thanks for the realtime experience man. I'll take your head's up to heart. Still, sounds like something I could do till it stops being enjoyable. I'll kep the board posted as my plans unfold.

Peace and gtty,

Lar

#28     Sep 19, 2007
  9. Saxon,

How long did it take for your dick to fall off?:eek:

#29     Sep 19, 2007

10. You misunderstood my post. I was not talking about VDs.

#30     Sep 19, 2007