Living and trading in France

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Kicking, Jul 5, 2003.

1. "So, I dont want to sound negative, but you are nowhere near the financial point that taxes would worry you..."

I know some other EU countries where if you are not unemployed with benefits, nor a student, nor employed neither retired (which is my case I am neither one of those I am not really self employed either) you still have to pay for mandatory healthcare and social security before you earn anything! That is if you are self employed and you make zilch you still have to pay SS tax. Great environment for a trader. As far as I know France is not much different, if you are self emplyoyed or don't belong to the other categories you still have to pay for ehealthcare and retirement not just your own healthcare and retirement of course.

#21     Jul 5, 2003
  2. OHLC

OHLC

Someone who is 'nothing' for example living from dividends can join and contribute to health insurance, it is not mandatory.
    Someone who is truely self employed has an EURL, individual company, or similar structure. SS and other taxes are to be paid, they depend on income, mainly. I explained this in the first post...

As far as I know France is not much different

Obviously you dont know much, and believe you know more than someone living/filing there, under the most complicated tax options... So I will not waste my time replying to you further.

OHLC

#22     Jul 5, 2003
  3. sabena

sabena

Candletrader : "I gotta agree that the bitches in the South

of France are hot"

I have to agree. I was there one week ago. Saw more

bitches in Saint-Tropez in one day then I saw from the be-

ginning of the year in Belgium...:p

#23     Jul 5, 2003

4. So.....are you saying that the females and MALES are bitches??
    :)

I've changed my vocabulary too. Replaced "French" with "freedom". Then I went out and bought a "freedom" tickler.

#24     Jul 5, 2003
  5. Obviously you dont know much, and believe you know more than someone living/filing there, under the most complicated tax options... So I will not waste my time replying to you further.

OHLC [/B][/QUOTE]

Well I used to read a lot of French business magazines and even though I have little knowledge of the different tax brackets and the taxation of self employed persons I remember that every entrepreneur would describe France as tax and red tape hell. Also given the fact that there are few full time private traders in Europe, there is a very little info on the taxation of such activity and most people who trade semi professionnaly are not sure themselves of what to report . Look at the thread on the Netherlands for ex. A lot of european traders here have some other occupation as well so they don't have to report their profits as professionals and their employer pay SS tax . I do not know your personal situation I appreciate your taking the time to post however you did not provide much info on how exactly the level of SS tax is determined and I think that 's what you have to look closely at when considering living in a EU country. You seem to say if you are not employed by somepne else and not operating in some company structure then you don't have to pay SS it sounds a little too good to be true.

#25     Jul 6, 2003
  6. Banjo

Banjo

7. This was indeed unfortunate, OHLC. I had never considered your nationality to be an obstruction to conversation. However, I'm not so good at other languages, so I'm glad you have the capacity for learning them.

Bruce

#27     Jul 6, 2003
  8. Ditch

Ditch

Well I used to read a lot of French business magazines and even though I have little knowledge of the different tax brackets and the taxation of self employed persons I remember that every entrepreneur would describe France as tax and red tape hell. Also given the fact that there are few full time private traders in Europe, there is a very little info on the taxation of such activity and most people who trade semi professionnaly are not sure themselves of what to report . Look at the thread on the Netherlands for ex. A lot of european traders here have some other occupation as well so they don't have to report their profits as professionals and their employer pay SS tax . I do not know your personal situation I appreciate your taking the time to post however you did not provide much info on how exactly the level of SS tax is determined and I think that 's what you have to look closely at when considering living in a EU country. You seem to say if you are not employed by somepne else and not operating in some company structure then you don't have to pay SS it sounds a little too good to be true. [/B][/QUOTE]

Which thread about tax in the Netherlands are you referring to?

#28     Jul 6, 2003
  9. I am referring to the thread " tax free futures trading in the Netherlands" where many traders some Dutchmen among them seem to have discordant interpretations of the way a futures trader would be taxed in Holland. btw Didn't you have a heated debate with some other guy on this thread? Another ex. is Belgium there is no CG tax there so people think they have to pay nothing. They may get away with it and many people cheat taxes in a small way in Europe but if the taxman establishes that trading takes a substantial part of your time then profits are taxable at 33%. Plus if you are self employed you'll have to pay SS tax as well.

#29     Jul 6, 2003
  10. Ditch

Ditch

I remember that. As tax law was changed considerable in 2001 taxes on futures profits is still a grey area, there's several solutions for the problem, however, some guys just like to pay taxes, i guess:p

#30     Jul 6, 2003