Living above one's means

Discussion in 'Economics' started by James Daniel, May 3, 2007.

1. I concur, Elcubano.

It's the simple things in life that brings the most joy.

I could buy a used BMW M Roadster (about £26,995) myself, but not only would it cost me an arm and a leg, it'll be dated within just a few short years and most likely worth half what I paid for it.

On the other hand, I have a used (new style) Honda Civic that looks, performs and drives just as good as the BMW for just £5,995, which leaves me £11,000 left (or debt free) for over things in life.

When will this show end, is what I ask?

#21     May 3, 2007
  2. Yeah I cook at home now and only frequent a handful of places where the owners know me by name.

Agree about the kite. Kids doesn't know the difference between a brand new Lexus or a beat up Toyota. If they do, they are being raised all wrong. They don't care what you drove, where they lived, or what brand of clothes you buy them. What they remember is whether you were there or not.

#22     May 3, 2007
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

never.... the developed world is to caught up in material things. Which will only give you satisfaction for about 1 or 2 days ( hell everyone likes a new toy ) but in the end happiness and sharing and giving are perhaps the best things one can attain. I have a friend that buys a new car every other Ca Ching..and believe you me this guy lives large making about $4mill a year and living as though he makes $12mill.... I told him dude relax that money will end one day..peace

#23     May 3, 2007
  4. True dat!

Anything you can purchase, you will tire of very quickly.

True love, health, friendship and prosperity isn't for sale at any price.

#24     May 3, 2007
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

absolutely....

#25     May 3, 2007
  6. You sir, are a communist!

#26     May 3, 2007
  7. This discussion jarred some thoughts loose in my head about being "rich".

I've been very reticent with my friends and relatives about my interest in trading and my ambition to support myself trading. Why? Because the average Joe equates this with being "rich" which isn't really what I'm after at all. While being rich would be nice, I'm willing to settle for mere financial independence. I intend to continue my current frugal lifestyle, only make it "employment optional".

That's impossible to convey easily to most people.

#27     May 3, 2007

8. :confused:

I'm thinking "No cologne, attract no bone"

Cologne on straight men went out in the early '90s. At least in America...of course I'm a bit past the clubbing days so maybe it's back. Ugh.

#28     May 3, 2007
  9. A Communist... please, I have as much ambition as anyone else to live a rich and lavish lifestyle, but with money I've actually earned or invested wisely.

Anyway, how can you relate someone who is concerned about people living above their means as a Communist? It befools me :lol: I'm not interested in wealth distribution.

#29     May 3, 2007
  10. The dreaded communist label. There are people in AMerica who will call you that if you show a distaste for conspicous consumption, greed and fiscal irresponsibilty. I doubt they really know what true communism is. They were just conditioned to use that label at an early age. Fear the commies. SUpport US military and CIA intervention around the world. The Military Industrial complex loves it. Then one day the threat of Communism seemed gone from the world, as the Soviet Union dissolved. They found a new "ism" to keep us scared, to keep the game going. Terrorism.

#30     May 3, 2007