Livevol X

Discussion in 'Options' started by ferrycorsten, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Umm, ok. The ability to build a spread or combo and model variables to Px, vol, etc.

It seems as there there is no position modeling in LVpro. Honestly, they're nuts at $250 with no what-if capability. My dormant TOS account has what-if.

I like the skew features and the historical stuff related to earnings, but it's lacking w/o the ability to quote and model spreads and combos. $250 for this?

#31     Jan 29, 2013
  2. Ok, I know what you're talking about now. Those features are not in LVP, perhaps because you cannot execute in there (not sure). In LVX, there is significant what-if functionality.

#32     Jan 29, 2013
  3. Well the app wouldn't exist if the ability to execute within the app was somehow a prereq for modeling (of anything). It's a neat little app but why would I bother if I can't model spreads as watchlist items. Silly.

#33     Jan 29, 2013
  4. IVtrader

IVtrader

I have been a Livevolpro for 2+ years and have really benefited from it. yet I gave LivevolX a chance and their efforts in opening an account were in the end very sloppy. yes I give them a BAD review, nevermind IB, and if someone wants more details, they can email me. I continue to use Livevolpro every day but it will be a rare day when I test LivevolX again

J

#34     Jan 30, 2013
  5. I think it's cool, and the historical vol shots of a year's worth of earnings per ticker is nice, but I don't see the cost-benefit value if I have to export to excel to get any modeling done. I can't trade off the info seen in a skew chart.

I am a bbg sub, so I am not going to harp too much about value, but if I am going to pay for another app it should off turn-key analytics. I should be able to model Px, vol and rates forward from within the app. I know it's simple stuff, but implementation is everything. I have pre/post straddle values in my sheets already.

FWIW, it runs like a champ in the browser. I think it uses Flash. It's slick but I would need to be able to model spreads as watchlist items. The charts are ok, but I can't choose any intraday granularity beyond there 1-5 day option.

Modeling complex positions as a single quote in the watchist. For example; charting a fly against a fairval (flat-vol) assumption. I know it wouldn't be implemented immediately, but this is a very basic app.

I would sub in a second if it had a reasonably sophisticated what-if capability.

#35     Jan 30, 2013
    Adam777 likes this.
  6. sonoma

sonoma

OP knows management. OP could ask Cat when stress testing is going to be available.

#36     Jan 30, 2013
  7. Who is Cat?

#37     Jan 30, 2013
  8. i personally feel.. that if your going to continue down the options journal.. using the next platform that comes out with the newer forms of research for vol trading will in the end keep you behind the curve... there is no substitute for knowing how to use a spreadsheet program... in the end.. it will be a break in your ability to efficiently customize techniques of analysis that will make the difference.. i personally don't want the future of my analysis techniques to depend on the "new" or "next" analysis platform has on it.. not to discredit livevol at all.. just a general statement....

#38     Jan 30, 2013
  9. sonoma

sonoma

I thought you implied you knew the principals at the firm.

#39     Jan 31, 2013
  10. It's easy to get in touch with the people at Livevol. I don't know a Cat though.

#40     Jan 31, 2013