Livermore 1940 First Edition

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mgkrebs, May 1, 2003.

1. Andre

Andre

I haven't read either of editions of this book, but I believe "reprinting" refers to a printing from the original plates. A different or modern edition usually doesn't mean a re-editing. The main text is usually the same, but reset on new plates, and often there are updated forwards or historical comments and addendums.

Does that make sense?

André <-- Book Nerd

#11     May 2, 2003
  2. tmb

tmb

That makes sense.

The site www.turtletrader.com - as pointed out by Babak - is implying that the text is fundamentally different. Obviously the original has great historical value. But I read the Traders Press 1991 publication (no Richard Smitten involved) and the content had the feel of authenticity.

#12     May 2, 2003
  3. mgkrebs

mgkrebs

scan of the cover

#13     May 2, 2003
  4. arizona

arizona

Please tell me why so many people think that Livermore was so cool. The main thing that I see that he did was pick a wife that shot his son, be a father that raised a spoiled drunken son, and then he killed himself at a young age, a broken man. If so many people want to BE LIKE JESSE, I see why the market has so many losers

#14     May 2, 2003
  5. saxon

saxon

How many people can say that they had the entire US economy at their mercy at the age of 28?

You?

#15     May 2, 2003
  6. I dont think anyone want to be like JL as far as his personal life went. But anybody who speculates for a living has to respect the fact that he picked himself up 4 times by his bootstraps. That being said it is quite obvious the man was an emotional wreck and had he been able to keep most of his winnings he would have went down in the history books right next to his pal J.P Morgan.

#16     May 2, 2003
  7. jhburton

jhburton

He's a tragic figure.

#17     May 2, 2003
  8. AZ ,

During those times there wasn't really any phsycological patterns that were being recognized nor treated as they were today. Along with all risk being monitored manually and regulations being just down right crazy. Trading then was a heck of a lot harder than it is today from a tools and psycological stand point.
    You can get a lot out of his books and divert yourself from making the same mistakes that he made.

Two of the best traders I know have read all of his books and swear by them. Following in Jesses drunken ways should not be the reasoning for not reading this.

Comp

#18     May 2, 2003
  9. tmb

tmb

Every field has its great, original thinkers. It turns out that many of them are flawed in other parts of their lives. Those that are in the same field or industry don't worry about that when judging their work or contributions.

#19     May 2, 2003
  10. My favorite was him being banned from the bucket shops. But the statement above is so very true.

#20     May 2, 2003