Live streaming quote in Excel

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by BeeRy, Dec 1, 2010.

1. BeeRy

BeeRy

Hi all.
    Apologies if this question has been answered in another thread.
    I need to find a way to get a live streaming quote in excel like the one provided by yahoo finance. Other threads end up resolving this by using web query but this gives a static quote that can be refreshed periodically, i am looking for a true stream.
    You might suggest using one from a broker like IB and thinkorswim but I am looking to do this without broker support for backup reasons.
    If any of you know how to do this please enlighten me.
    Thanks.

2. rosy2

rosy2

are you really just asking where to get free real-time quotes?

3. Hi there,

can you lead me in the right direction of how to get streaming quotes from yahoo to excel? I'd imagine it's free right. Thanks,

And sorry the only way I know to do what your asking is get steaming quotes from IB onto excel for example. Keep in mind IB isn't completely unreliable, once every few weeks data might stop but only for a couple mins.

4. BeeRy

BeeRy

Rosy,

I'm asking how you take that real time quote from a web page and get it into a cell in Excel. I'm fairly literate in Excel VBA but have not found an efficient way to this. I need it to be streaming in real time the same way it does on yahoo. If I have to refresh the link every minute that doesn't work.
    It's a challenge, any takers?

5. OP what version of Excel are you using? Have you googled this? there are LOTS of live "auto refresh" scripts/macros out there for free on the web. Google "Excel web query auto refresh" or "Excel web query realtime".

FYI, Yahoo data has a lot of latency, its better than 15min delayed but unless you are going for points in an ATS I wouldn't trust it.