Live News Service, Free

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by BC Bob, Oct 25, 2005.

1. BCE

BCE

I contacted them over a week ago and haven't heard back from them. Maybe they do give out your phone #. Hmmm.

#111     Jul 5, 2006
  2. Moreagr

Moreagr

hmm well i like the service but i really cant understand what the guy is saying it very muffled. the other alerts are very late and useless

anybody else experience this as well??

#112     Jul 5, 2006
  3. kowboy

kowboy

They had the oil numbers live today for the spike in oil and OIH.

They nail the economic numbers live and at least you know what's moving the market. Otherwise you're trading in the dark without some sort of news. Yes, some of the other news items are totally useless.

I can hear better when the base volume is lowered and the treble volume is increased.

#113     Jul 12, 2006
  4. The service is Free... I want to preface what I'm saying by stating this first. Therefore, I appreciate the info they provide. I have NewsStrike along with NTKN and TTN. That just about covers all the audio news out there. NewsStrike has on every occasion announced economic, geopolitical and stock news fast than TTN. They have sometimes lagged NTKN and have also preceded them by a minute or more. The only down side to NTKN is that they are not consistent. Hence, I would not rely on them as the only source of news. Again, it is free and I do appreciate any comments they make and ignore the ones that don't matter to me.

As far as the quality of the sound, you will find that they are much clearer on a headset than over speakers. There seems to be a lot of base in the sound stream, so it sounds muffled on high quality speakers.

Good luck all.

#114     Jul 12, 2006
  5. Moreagr

Moreagr

thanks FT71,

I'll have to try it with with head phones.

#115     Jul 12, 2006
  6. I had never subscribed to a news service, but after following this thread for a while, I sent an email request to subscribe late Wednesday evening. I included my real name and phone number and got an email reply with subscription info the next morning.

The installation instructions were detailed and clear. The installation worked the first time with no problems.

During the installation a change log was displayed and two of the most recent changes were aimed at audio quality. I thought that it was reasonably understandable on my low-mid priced speakers. But, my hearing is not what it used to be plus I am not used to listening to news.

They had the Michigan numbers this morning. I liked the way they handled the report. I think it was five minutes before the announcement they gave a five minute warning with the expected number. Then they gave a few second warning. Then they gave the number and repeated the expectation. I watched the YM and based on the tape, they seemed to be well ahead of the crowd and the news was easily playable.

They also had FDX a short time later. There was plenty of time to bring up the chart and give it some thought before the tape reacted.

In both of these examples, the news was easily playable just using newsstrike. I looked at a random few others during the day but none of them showed a playable reaction.

I like the way the service works. It is silent most of the time. When they speak it is very short, a sentence or two, and to the point. For me, I think that the audio could be better, But I have not tried headphones. I think that I can get used to long periods of silence and then instantly "tuning in" when he starts to speak. That would help as much as anything.

As I said, I had never tried using news, and I do not know how this compares to other services. But, if a few hours trial means anything, I think that newsstrike is useful and quite good.

ray

#116     Jul 14, 2006
  7. mnx

mnx

I sent an e-mail last wednesday to subscribe to newstrike but haven't heard back yet... How long does it usually take?

thanks!

mnx

#117     Sep 18, 2006
  8. BTW, at this moment, I feel that NewsStrike provides the most consistent of all live news audio feeds. My comments on NTKN are no longer applicable, since their quality and reliability has taken a nosedive since prior management was replaced. I still believe TTN has some strides to make.

It amazes me that the free service is the one that seems to announce on time and more consistently. A better software platform would be a boon for these guys, but I think they are good unless the other guys get off their asses and fix things up.

Cheers!

#118     Sep 18, 2006
  9. I want to go on record to say that my prior comments on NTKN no longer apply. The service has deteriorated significantly and I'm in the process now of discussing the issues with senior management. If things don't get fixed soon, I feel the service is a disadvantage and will cancel. They have eliminated the good staff and keep bringing on people who do nothing but read a quote board every 5 minutes. When Andy and Greg were there, they understood what traders would look for and when. NTKN now reports stale news as if it just came out. I would no longer recommend them unless the service improves.

#119     Oct 24, 2006
  10. I have dropped Need To Know News for billing, incompetence and other issues. The service is completely useless at this point.

Greg Cox, the news reader who was with NTKN is now covering futures at Trade The News on the credit/FX channel. He is experienced and with his loss, NTKN became worthless.

I have signed up with Trade The News on a negotiated rate. I get this discounted rate for myself regardless of who uses the service based on my comments.

If you want to get the service at a 30% discount, you can use MA0107 (those are zeros) as a discount coupon code. I suggest doing a free trial first. Their website is www.tradethenews.com .

I can't speak for the equities channel. I listened to both equities and credit/FX/futures for my trial. I liked what I heard and am happy to be able to listen to Greg again. He knows what to cover and when.

I don't get anything by suggesting that TTN is better now than they were when I used them last year. I'm simply updating you and providing a way to give you my rate for the same service.

I'm not related to the service. I just think that they are worth recommending. The one caveat is that there is a required notice of 7 days prior to your billing date to cancel the service if you want to cancel. Hence, if you want to cancel and your billing date is 12/15, then you must notify by 12/8. The notice to cancel must be in writing by fax. This has been the result of disputes in the past.

I hope that helps. I still have NewsStrike for equities coverage.

#120     Dec 13, 2006