Live news feed

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mazirus, May 8, 2001.

1. mazirus

mazirus

What do you guys do for live news? I currently use Qcharts and IB for trading. Both don't offer news. Yes Qcharts has news, but it's a web page. Not very useful unless you are expecting the news, then it isn't really news is it. Anyways I'd appreciate some feedback on some tools out there for delivering streaming live news, by symbol and general market news.

Thanks.

2. trinfo

trinfo

I assume you mean streaming news, and not just a web page (for the latter, any free web site does fine).

I know http://www.redinews.com exists - free trial, worth evaluating at least. Usually you have to buy news with your analytics, but QCharts doesn't offer that.

If you want the creme de la creme, the Dow Jones Newswire is something to look at - more expensive but I think they are the hub for the items, so may be faster or more complete. No URL, sorry - I think it's something like a Java applet for around $80/mo.

3. mjt

mjt

Try http://www.newsware.com/ Contact them and tell them you're not with a broker that offers their software, but would like to subscribe to their Newswatch service. I have a feeling they only offer it through their affiliated brokers, but it's worth a try. It's a good program.

4. mazirus

mazirus

Thanks guys.
    Newsware looks like a really interesting piece of software. I keep wondering how people manage to jump on the wagon of surprise rate cuts. Anybody ever manage to get long, our out of shorts before market surges?

5. lxo7

lxo7

Regarding http://www.newsware.com, you could use the software with a myTrack ID, and you don't have to be a customer. myTrack offers a free delayed quote service, but I'm not sure if the news stories in NewsWatch would be delayed as well. If so, the realtime service in myTrack cost about $20/mo, and NewsWatch is $15/mo. on top of that.

A better way (imo) to get news is simply turning on the TV. I live in Asia and don't have access to CNBC and Bloomberg, and for a while I used the web broadcast from Bloomberg, but it seemed that they broadcast the same news every hour.

Right now I don't use any news service - too distracting for me. In the event of a surprise rate cut, I'm sure by the time I see/hear such an event, I would already be seeing it on my quote service, and that's enough for me to make a move.

Francis

6. dozu888

dozu888

What do you need news for anyway? chart is not everything, it's the only thing.

7. if you are looking to get long/short before a rate change it's just about impossible as the floor pretty much hears the info first. One thing you can do is get a squwak box of the floor. IF YOU EVER HEAR A HUGE ROAR IN THE BACKGROUND DO NOT FADE THE MOVE, INSTEAD TRY TO GO WITH IT.

rtharp

8. mazirus

mazirus

I guess concentrating on the chart really is the most important thing. As for surprise rate cuts, they happen so seldom that it's probably not worth it for me to worry about it.
    Thanks for the feedback.

9. eltr

eltr

I am looking for news service too, can someone provide more information?