Little Lex's YM Daytrading Journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Little Lex, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Hi gurucandidate,

thanks for your insight. I completely agree on what you said about target selection and hanging on to winners.

To me it clearly is one of the weak points of my trading. I agree that target selection has to be done on a case by case basis and factors such as the identificaton of trend or range days are important (among many others).

Good trading to you,

LL

#41     Apr 14, 2008
  2. dubs07

dubs07

LL, I looked at your chart and commented on how my style of trading would have played that move in YM, now I don't know what the internals did or the overall picture of everything (what time frame that was when it happened etc...) and I wasn't playin the market today...if you liked my style or have any questions/comments lemme know, and I hope its beneficial, I am not tryin to sound like I have a perfect method or anything, just givin my insight and attemptin to be somewhat helpful :)

#42     Apr 14, 2008
  3. dubs07,

thanks for posting the edited chart. The way you lowered the stop seems like a very useful strategy which I will try to integrate into my trading.

The retracement you marked "1" would have been a perfect entry. The reason why I entered the trade earlier was that I was afraid to "miss the train".

Don't worry, I really appreciate your comments and help.

LL

#43     Apr 15, 2008
  4. Again I focused on selecting only high probability trades with a favorable risk/reward ratio. Therefore I took only 2 trades today. Trade management remains my biggest weakness.

I am satisfied with both trade entries. Both trades were far in the green after only a few minutes. The main problem was again related to targets and stops.

Trade 1 (long) was up 17 points at its maximum. I trailed the stop from my standard -15 points to -8 points. This new stop was slightly below a previous double bottom. Then the Dow came tumbling down and I got stopped out at -8 points. What had happened? DOUBLE TOP !!!

Trade 2 (short) was a perfect entry and was closed (after only 73 seconds!) for a profit of 13 points. The Dow fell a further 35 points in the following minutes.

What does this tell me? I stayed in the first trade too long and exited the second trade too soon. With better trade management this could have been a good day (example: closing the first trade +15 instead of -8 would have made a huge difference).

Trade 1: -8
    Trade 2: +13
    Day: +5
    Week: +20
    Month: -25

#44     Apr 15, 2008
  5. and here's the chart of the second trade. It could have been sooo beautiful!

LL

#45     Apr 15, 2008
  6. dubs07

dubs07

my comments on the long trade you posted...

#46     Apr 16, 2008
  7. dubs07

dubs07

my comments on the short trade you posted...

#47     Apr 16, 2008
  8. dubs07

dubs07

oh and LL, what time frame do you normally trade in? like the 15 minute, 5 minute, 2 minute 1 minute...

knowin this I think I can help you with entries and exits...

#48     Apr 16, 2008
  9. Hi dubs07,

When trading I generally use the 1 minute chart. When looking for setups or trying to understand the "bigger picture" I also look at the 5 and 15 minute charts.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on yesterday's charts. I will have a look at the edited charts after the close today.

Good trading to you,

LL

#49     Apr 16, 2008
  10. dubs07

dubs07

is that the timeframe you're most comfortable trading in?

#50     Apr 16, 2008