Little experiment trading ES using NQ

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by MarkBrown, Nov 1, 2018.

1. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

so this morning i saw it was a rotational market and i have observed the nq seems to swing nicely producing clean spike tops and bottoms. seeking to eliminate some noise i just looked at the nq chart 32 point range bars and executed trades on the es .

it worked so well using reversion to the mean, i had 8 trades two of which were losses with a nice gain in about 30 minutes worth of trading. not to say you could do this all the time but when in a clearly rotational market it worked for me. i'm going to keep fiddling with this and other mixes of financial future indexes.

m

smallfil and IAS_LLC like this.
  2. Palindrome

Palindrome

I like NQ's over ES. I find ES a bit "less clear" with technicals. Those "ES Only Traders" never made any sense to me.

positive etc and MarkBrown like this.
  3. maxinger

maxinger

I have all the index charts
    ES YM RTY NQ
    DAX
    SIMSCI, China A50, Taiwan index, Hangseng, Nikkei

displayed on my monitors.
    I pick and choose which is the more trendy one.

sometimes NQ is more trendy, sometimes ES, sometimes RTY.
    Interestingly on 1 Nov US session, Hangseng and China A50 are the most trendy
    one.

MarkBrown likes this.
  4. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

i am guilty of that but gonna change - it's a global market now. like maxinger listed is some ones i am going to look at also.

5. Palindrome

Palindrome

I trade 10 different markets, Equities are only 1 of 10.

NQ is that 1 of 10.

Crude, Gas, Currencies, Bonds.... So much to trade, there is always something moving pretty. Equities trade nice 4 days a month in my opinion rest is chop. Just my opinion.

6. fan27

fan27

I really like this post! Some people advise to pick one market and know it inside and out. That will result in low capital utilization because most of the time the market will not be "moving pretty". Best to study what "moving pretty" is (can come in many variations), automate it, monitor it, expand to another market, repeat. I recall an interview with hedge fund legend James Simmons where he explains that the edges they exploit are not typically "huge", they just have many of them on many markets. Makes sense to me.