Listening to music while trading

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by no_agenda, Jul 26, 2003.

Do you listen to music regularly while trading?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    441.7%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    358.3%
  3. Sometimes

36 vote(s)
    300.0%
  1. Incidentally, I just wanted to start a thread on this, too :)

Yes - I love to grooooove it while trading!

It actually depends largely on what kind of music you're listening to and at what time you're doing it.

I think rock or other kinds of "aggressive" music is probably not the best thing to do - Which doesn't mean I'm biased - I even like Linkin Park etc - but difficult during RTH.

On the other hand, I listen to a -gigantic- spectrum of music, or to quote my friends "the most undecided and diverse music-fan ever". I really hate specializing on a particular style of music.

If people ask me what I listen to, I say : "Anything, as long as it's the best"...

So I basically listen to anything from Classic (Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Domingo, Verdi, Bocelli) over Jazz, Rock, Pop, Folk, Celtic Music, Downbeat, Trip-Hop, all kinds of Electronica (Thievery Corporation, Autechre, Shpongle) right to the other end of the scale with Israeli Psychedelic Trance (Yahel, Infected Mushroom, Psycraft etc)

There's little I don't like in terms of music "style", but I certainly prefer the best of each kind. The only exceptions, I think, would be some styles of "Hip-Hop", "Nigga-Pop", "Rap", some kinds of "Death Metal" (Sepultura) etc and anything that just sounds like "screaming", which are probably not what I would listen to unless forced. Also, I pretty much hate boybands (N'Sync, Take That, Caught in the Act etc), Britney Spears (terrible), and other manufactured not-really-music entities.

My current primary girlfriend listens to Metallica, and it's sort of just on the edge of what I can handle. - Don't get me wrong, she's extremely intelligent and educated - She just listens to Metallica, that's all. A few of their songs, to me, are OK (she thinks they're the greatest and has all their albums), the only one I could think of that I actually like would be "Nothing else matters". But yeah. There's a little "good" in everything :)

Also, a lot of my friends make great music (I live in a giant art region) and I listen to that, too. I like live music. I know quite a few known bands, through myself and friends and became friends with some of them (i.e. The Waifs, Massive Attack, Nathan Gaunt). Also, my dad released an awesome album a couple of years ago, which I still listen to and consider one of the best ever written. I think I'm the only son in this world who 'listens' to his dad :p

Here some suggestions of "good" bands/singers/dj's I listened to recently:

Yahel, Thievery Corporation, Terranova, Talamasca, Scorpions, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Tortoise, Waifs, Led Zeppelin, Yothu Yindi, Prodigy, Zero 7, Magnetic Fields, Squarepusher, The London Symphony Orchestra, Spearhead, Ben Harper, System of a Down, Linkin Park, Shpongle, Pink Floyd, Powderfinger, Regurgitator, Autechre, Nirvana, Mouse on Mars, Morcheeba, Mono, Moby, Midnight Oil, Madonna, Man With No Name, Infected Mushroom, Groove Armada, Jethro Tull, Holly Cole, Hallucinogen, Deep Purple, Divine Comedy, Alan Parsons Project, Enya, Enigma, Fureys, Gillian Welch, Goa, Green Nuns of the Revolution, Future Sonic Orchestra, Cranberries, Michal Hromek (Celtic Guitar), Beach Boys, Cake, Bjork, Alex Lloyd, Air, Art of Trance, Astral Projection, Autechre, Bobby McFerrin, Crowded House, Andrea Bocelli... Just to name a few... there are many more...

Many of these are more than suitable for trading... :)

By the way, my music collection encompasses in excess of 7,000 songs...

So, with all this musical appreciation - How I could I not listen to music during trading hours? :cool:

By the way - Regarding the Financial TV issue - Of course I have the TV off during RTH! - Like any really good traders I know.

Save the TV for after-hours if you really feel the urge. Take it out of your office during the day. It really matters.

~The Scientist

P.S: Currently listening to: <i>Miles Davis - Amandla</i>

#11     Jul 26, 2003
  2. This is really quite funny, since "triple J" is the major youth radio station over here (Australia) - Everybody listens to it, they even have a TV station... I think it's been around since Elvis...

I almost would have been biased towards thinking you're a music freak, LOL :p

~Scientist

#12     Jul 26, 2003
  3. by the way your tastes are abit retro and subdued for a young stub such as yourself you weenie

#13     Jul 26, 2003
  4. cvds16

cvds16

I couldn't agree more, when I'm low on energy I put on pumping techno, it helps !

my favorite at the moment: "how did you know" by mantronix in a club remix

#14     Jul 26, 2003
  5. So, what do YOU listen to, FPC? I bet you wouldn't dare to tell us, since it's probably embarrassing. At least I had the meat to tell everybody.

Regarding "retro and subdued" - Don't worry, this is just a temporary thing, FPC - One day, when your mind is a little more developed than it is now [... ? ... ] and your mental institution lets you free again from listening to whale music, then you, too, will get to appreciate this kind of more sophisticated music.

But till then, I wish you much fun with whatever it is you currently listen to. I actually have a playlist of different music for different trading themes/times. One of them is the "FPC theme" - Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus. You simply reminded me of this song the first time I read one of your posts. I should be playing it everytime you write another POS of a post on EliteTrader. How unfortunate I always skip that song, since the occassion comes up far too often these days... Another one is "What's up Pussycat" by Burt Bacharach. LOL.

Besides, if I'm such a "weenie", then how old are you, "Mr.Pussycat"?

~The Scientist

Currently listening to: <i> Autechre - Eggshell</i> from the album <i>Incunabula</i>

#15     Jul 26, 2003
  6. lately i've been listening to.....

"fly from the inside" shinedown
    "isolated" skrape
    "comfortable liar" chevelle
    "another day" dogfight
    "rain song" cold
    "did my time" korn
    "like a stone" audioslave
    "quiet liar" handsome <-- great song

#16     Jul 26, 2003
  7. FPC might just surprise you, dude.

p. s. "cuz i'm just a teenage dirtbag, baby! :p

#17     Jul 26, 2003
  8. sonia2003

sonia2003

I prefer classical most of the time

#18     Jul 26, 2003

9. GEKKO MY MAIN MAN! HOW YA DOING BRO! :D

Ya that preppie too lame to know how we bang our heads! :p

#19     Jul 26, 2003
  10. How sad. :( This post really speaks for itself ... And for Gekko ... Doesn't it?
    So, FPC - Have you always got "Microsoft Narrator" on, to read your ET posts for you?

~Scientist

#20     Jul 26, 2003