listen to this laptop buying horror story

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joeyata1, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Are you saying you did this...got audited....and lost... you had this happen to YOU....Just recently...I am sorry to be such an idiot...I simply think there is more to it....

To remain on topic what notebook/laptop would you have, if you were to buy one? :)

I wanted to trade frequently (3 to 6 trades a day) the indexes TAX FREE in the ROTH. NO WAY! Like I said it is an illusion. You'll wind up paying in excess of 40% when they get done with you.

#31     Mar 4, 2006
  2. i dont believe it. i would have to see it in writing.

#32     Mar 4, 2006
  3. #33     Mar 4, 2006

4. If you trade frequently and make a lot of money (they don't care about $10K) you are avoiding taxes by using a scheme (in this case the ROTH) and that is unfortunately YOUR problem. Not theirs.

Remember I'm talking about the concept you can have your cake and eat it too. The Roth is not considered by the IRS to be able to shelter day trading profits. If you are small potatoes you'll be fine most likely. If you make real bucks you're going down. Not now but later, after a couple of years and now they got you because the rules are deliberately vague and they are all on their side. Check it out for yourself with competent (read expensive) legal counsel. Don't say I didn't warn you though.

#34     Mar 4, 2006
  5. The doubt you are casting is troubling and hard to verify....Damn...I don't use the Roth IRA, but I have not excluded it completely from my fuure plans....Now what do I do? Thank you for sharing your UNIQUE story. So I wonder how much I can make...when is it BIG money...100k? you say?

#35     Mar 4, 2006

6. No one is more unhappy about it than I.

#36     Mar 4, 2006
  7. #37     Mar 4, 2006
  8. hopback

hopback

You're absolutely right.
    I should have included that aswell.
    It came with a Maxtor 5400 rpm HD.
    There weren't a whole lot of 10,000 rpm drives out at the time but there is a huge difference between 5400 and 7200. I had already replace the stock maxtor with a 7200 rpm Western Digital HD by that time.

#38     Mar 4, 2006
  9. this would not be unique to a roth. if true it could apply to all retirement accounts.

#39     Mar 4, 2006
  10. hopback

hopback

About 3 or 4 months after the HP debacle I built a PC for my mother, for $550, that was significantly better than mine was. Ordered everything form pricewatch.com and newegg.com.

I've built 2 more since then aswell.

#40     Mar 4, 2006