List of obscure trading related videos, movies

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Pekelo, Mar 28, 2011.

1. #11     Mar 29, 2011
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

#12     Mar 29, 2011
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

These 2 documentaries are available on Netflix instant play:

Frontline: Breaking the Bank
    (2009) NR

With an eye on the financial crisis that sent Wall Street reeling in the midst of the 2008 presidential election, this penetrating edition of "Frontline" investigates what went wrong, who's to blame and how long it will take to repair the damage. Specifically, the program looks at the role of so-called "superbanks" and other players in the housing market's soaring fortunes -- and its ultimately devastating decline.

-------------------------------

Frontline: The Warning
    2009 NR 54 minutes

A detailed look at the roots of America's worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, this "Frontline" documentary exposes why government officials refused to regulate emerging derivatives markets that later ruined global financial systems. Director Michael Kirk focuses special attention on the intriguing story of Brooksley Born, the head of a little-known regulatory agency who fought in vain for the increased oversight of derivatives sales.

The Warning is also on Youtube....

#13     Mar 29, 2011
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Here is finally a book, I guess could be called obscure because it has been published only 2 months ago:

Peter L. Brandt:
    "Diary of a Professional Commodity Trader: Lessons from 21 Weeks of Real Trading"

The author has an audited track record, spanning 30 years, of better than 41% compound returns!

It got excellent reviews on Amazon. There is an exclusive Q&A with the author:

http://www.amazon.com/Diary-Profess...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301407697&sr=1-1-catcorr

"What advice would you give aspiring traders?

My initial advice would be to tell them to forget the idea. I would recommend against becoming a trader. Trading is hard work. I would suggest that they give their capital to a professional trader with a history of very small drawdowns.

But if they simply could not be dissuaded, then my advice would start with the following items:
    1. It takes a minimum of two years to learn enough to put real skin into the game. Trade a simulated account in the meantime.
    2. Don’t take specific trading advice from anyone under any circumstance.
    3. Don’t take general advice on trading concepts or themes from anyone who cannot produce an actual track record of successful trading.
    4. The overwhelming majority of books and seminars on trading are a deterrent to success trading.
    5. No two successful traders trade the same way – and every successful trader has developed a style unique to his or her own personality, risk tolerance and skill sets.
    6. The markets are a great teacher. Be prepared to confront character traits you didn’t know you had.
    7. Your opponent to successful trading is not the markets nor other traders, but yourself.
    8. Understand that there is no magic bullet – or holy grail. Successful trading is a result of hard work.
    9. Have realistic expectations. Traders who think they can turn $10,000 into a million will likely fail. Most really successful traders average around 30% annually on proprietary funds.
    10. If, after a year or two, you find that you are not enjoying the voyage, jump ship immediately."

#14     Mar 29, 2011
  5. benwm

benwm

Pekelo - I think this thread is better if focused solely on videos and movies. There are already a couple of ET book related threads which are 20-30 pages long since there are so many trading books out there. But when the the seventh person recommends "Reminiscences of.." or "Market Wizards" it gets a bit tiresome (good as they are)

Not my thread, mind you. :)

#15     Mar 29, 2011
  6. benwm

benwm

#16     Mar 29, 2011
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

I see your point. I just realized I didn't include books in the title... :)

I guess the most important thing is the obscurity part, they have to be not very well known... I have just ran into this new book and it looked really good. I will check out the book thread, somehow I missed that one...

#17     Mar 29, 2011
  8. Joman

Joman

Thanks for the link.

Very poor story with the strategy based on climatology (you don't believe it 1 second) and with all the trader's cliches: the cocaine, the easy girls, the nice cars and so on...

Overall, a very obscure movie :D

#18     Mar 29, 2011
  9. Wall Street Warriors, anyone?

#19     Apr 20, 2011
  10. bstay

bstay

#20     Apr 20, 2011