List of great muslim/arab inventions or discoveries

Discussion in 'Politics' started by gunslinger, Jun 7, 2008.

1. =====================
    6//7/08--6/11/08

Gunslinger7-11;
    took a while, but i though of one[1]

Michael Youssef, born in Assuit ,Egypt,1948

Left Egypt during the 6 day war, became a Christian, I believe;
    watched him for years,on Christian TV. He discovered from the Bible, Israel is ''a helpful example to us'' & he likes the Jewish lawyer -Jay Seculow.:cool: :D

US citizen since 1984

#41     Jun 11, 2008
  2. I don't get it, somebody gave you a really good answer already in post #3 and yet you pretend like nobody has given you an answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_science
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventions_in_the_Muslim_world

Be kind and read these links, they answer your question pretty directly. If you really want to, I'll make you a list like you asked for in the "invention - inventor"-format.

To see the impact of these contributions on the west, also check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_contributions_to_Medieval_Europe

"From the 10th to the 13th century, Europe literally absorbed vast quantities of knowledge from the Islamic civilization.[2] This had considerable effects on the development of Western civilization, leading in many ways to the achievement of the Renaissance."

How can you keep saying muslims didn't invent more than doggystyle and suicide bombs when the fact of the matter is that virtually every aspect of your life is both directly and indirectly influenced by the contributions of the islamic world?

It really gets my goat when people leech off of other peoples achievements without recognizing their work. It's kind of like when arabs use modern western inventions like cars, airplanes and electronics (which by the way is built upon alot of other peoples work), while at the same time calling the west useless. It's disgusting and you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

#42     Jul 6, 2008
  3. You do not get any credit for the achievements of people from your continent, no more than the average muslim should be credited for discovering the theory of evolution 1200 years before Darwin (al-Jahiz), or the average greek credited for the same discovery 2600 years ago for that matter (Anaximander). You're an individual and you're going to carry your own weight. Deal with that.

As somebody said earlier, the modern alphabet is a middle eastern creation invented by the same people that you now call arabs (no, the arabs of arabia did not kill off or expel the egyptians nor the phoenicians; genetics and history shows both only converted). The alpha is from alp/alef meaning ox and the beta is from beit/bet meaning house even today. This particular way of expressing words started out in Egypt and evolved into what we know today by the canaanites (the modern palestinians, jordanians and lebanese). This form of written language was copied and changed by people all over the world and is the foundation for all alphabets from arabic and hebrew to greek and latin, from the viking runes to russian.

If you sincerely want to play the "don't use my peoples inventions"-game, I'll play along (even though I'm a christian european), but only if you go first. You can start by never ever using the alphabet again. So unless you're a hypocrite I guess you will not be responding anymore. Oh well, thanks for the chat.

#43     Jul 6, 2008
  4. True. The latest muslim inventions are dated about a millennium ago...and that's according to two wikipedia articles the factual accuracy of which is disputed. The answer is good indeed, tells us everything we need to know about contemporary islamic culture and the desperation of their supporters who have to go back 1000 years to prove that Islam did make a positive contribution to humanity.

#44     Jul 6, 2008
  5. He didn't ask for modern achievements, now did he?

As for modern achievements, I guess the muslim world can't claim to have been any more productive than most of the rest of the world, like Afrika, South America, etc. However, I do not see how this is relevant. Being born a white western man is not an achievement, it is pure luck. You did not discover the laws of Newton, Newton did. You get no more credit for the laws of Newton than your average arab. As for putting civilizations up against each other and comparing them, ofcourse the west beats the muslim world; it beats it hands down, just as the west beats any other modern way of life (at least in terms of achievements).

But again, this is not a relevant issue when talking about the middle east conflict or the war on terror; it is merely a fact of our time. And trying to make a point out of it like it's some sort of hard-hitting argument is just weird. It's not hard-hitting at all. It's the kind of argument you find in places like stormfront.org, where collective achievements are actually relevant, not in a civilized place where people are supposed to be rational.

#45     Jul 6, 2008
  6. He didn't ask for modern achievements, now did he?
    No he did not although I suspect that's what he meant. Regardless, my point still stands, Islam is stuck in the previous millennium, it has made absolutely no contribution to modern civilization during the last 1000 years or so and no matter how hard you try to rationalize it, it's a pretty good indicator of the status of modern day islamic culture.

As for modern achievements, I guess the muslim world can't claim to have been any more productive than most of the rest of the world, like Afrika, South America, etc.
    Perhaps when Africans start flying planes into buildings and South Americans burn cars and riot over cartoons we'll start discussing their achievements too.

You can talk about stormfront all you want but you yourself seem to be the product of european political correctness running amok with news organizations like BBC terrified to use words "Islam" and "terror" in one sentence. Just because you keep your head in the sand does not make the problem go away.

#46     Jul 6, 2008
  7. a_person,
    you seem like a people-hater who guard irrational ethnic and cultural types of hatred and prejudice against others.

That's why some should learn to live in the modern world in a peacefully civilized manner before they join the rest of us again - and that goes for all active sides in the middle east conflict.

#47     Jul 6, 2008
  8. For the record, the islamic golden age is considered by most to be from the 8th century to the 13th, or even 15th and 16th century. Some of the inventions listed in the links are even as late as 17th century. The statement that there have been "no contributions during the last 1000 years" is simply not true. If this is going to be some mantra of yours, at least make it "no contributions during the last few centuries".

What!? In Africa hundreds of thousands of people die every day. In Rwanda almost one million people was murdered over the course of a hundred days. The consequences of Al-Qaedas global terrorism is -NOTHING- compared to the stuff that is happening in Africa these days, in Kenya, in Zimbabwe, in Zaire (or is it Congo now?).

The consequences of these oh-so-scary terrorist attacks is also nothing compared to what the terrorists families them selfs are putting up with in their own lands. How many civilian arabs has been murdered by the hands of americans the past few decades? Compare this number to the number of victims of terrorist attacks. Doesn't matter if you're wearing a towel on your head and standing in the mountains of pakistan while ordering these murders, or if your wearing a nice suit and sitting in a huge white building; dead people are just as dead anyway. It is actually a ridiculous comparison because terrorist attacks kill less people than lightning, let alone traffic. Heck, you americans even kill off 3 times 9-11 every year, with your beloved guns.

The so called oh-so-scary terrorism is no more than an illusion.

What problem? The chances of me getting killed by an islamic terrorist is about a 100 times smaller than the chance of me getting struck by lightning, 10000 times smaller than the chance of me getting stabbed by a random fellow western citizen and 1000000 times smaller than the chance of me dying by some bad or drunk driver in traffic.

And all this is without mentioning the fact that previous to western hunger for oil and power in the middle east, we had virtually no problems with the muslim world. Heck, most of them even admired our culture back in the first half of the 20th century. WE (that is, the US and Britain mainly) had the active role in screwing this up.

..And I'm the one with my head in the sand. You ought to get yours out of your behind.

#48     Jul 6, 2008
  9. For the record, the islamic golden age is considered by most to be from the 8th century to the 13th...The statement that there have been "no contributions during the last 1000 years" is simply not true.
    OK, point taken. So it's 800 years and counting without making a positive contribution to humanity. My bad :D

In Rwanda almost one million people was murdered over the course of a hundred days.
    Fucking savages, they have contributed absolutely nothing to humanity during the last 1000 years, they are murdering each other instead. Al least they don't have any beef with the western world and don't not attack innocent western civilians in France, Bali, Russia, the UK, the US and elsewhere.

The consequences of Al-Qaedas global terrorism is -NOTHING- compared to the stuff that is happening in Africa these days, in Kenya, in Zimbabwe, in Zaire (or is it Congo now?).
    You could be right but guess what, I am not in Africa and I am not responsible for what's happening in Africa. I don't want them to kill each other but if they do - it's not my problem and there is nothing I can do about it. When on the other hand I or my friends or my family or my neighbors are murdered by muslim terrorists - that very much is my problem. Just because someone in Africa has it worse does not change my attitude towards Islamic extremists who threaten me and other Americans and Westerners.

How many civilian arabs has been murdered by the hands of americans the past few decades?... you americans even kill off 3 times 9-11 every year, with your beloved guns.
    I see, so bashing America is OK but pointing out (quite accurately btw) that Islam has not made a positive contribution to the human race in <del>1000</del>(oops) 800 years or that most terrorists are muslims is racism. Amazing consistency in a typically European politically correct style.

The so called oh-so-scary terrorism is no more than an illusion.
    Why don't you tell that to the families of 3000 9/11 victims?

What problem? The chances of me getting killed by an islamic terrorist is about a 100 times smaller than the chance of me getting struck by lightning
    But if you are killed by a terrorist anywhere in the world the chances that it was an Islamic terrorist are about 99%. Oh and btw, how high should the chances be, how many westerners do you think have to be killed by muslim terrorists before you say "Houston, we have a problem". Please let us how long you're willing to wait and how many people need to die before you decide that it's time to act. Let us know how many dead westerners would satisfy your criteria - would 100,000 do it? 500,000? More? More than Rwanda perhaps? Or one member of your family?

#49     Jul 6, 2008
  10. Indeed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have you heard of wide-spread protests and outrage against these demonstrations and slogans among so-called moderate muslims? Me neither.

#50     Jul 6, 2008