List of great muslim/arab inventions or discoveries

Discussion in 'Politics' started by gunslinger, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Wow we sure got a lot of good responses. I guess it is safe to say that instead of muslims blaming th infidels for their woes. They instead should try to make a positive contribution to the world, since basically they have added nothing in the last 1000 years.

So all you pro-muslim anti-israel/us posters, understand the only reason you are able to type on your computer is becuase you have been riding the coat tails of the rest of the world, while adding nothing.

In case you forget and go on a tirade, you can always revert to this thread to be reminded of how little tangibles your society adds. Keep on hating on the rest of us.

#31     Jun 9, 2008
  2. reg

reg

Teenage suicide bombers - great for them but not so great for the rest of the civilized world.

#32     Jun 9, 2008
  3. kut2k2

kut2k2

Dude, that goes back at least to the Vietnam War, and probably earlier.

#33     Jun 9, 2008
  4. umm... capitalism. Where do you think barter came from?

Accounting, trade, banking, money, etc... all derivatives.

#34     Jun 9, 2008
  5. reg

reg

Don't think so, but I could be wrong.
    Could you provide me with a link then regarding Vietnamese TEENAGE suicide bombers?
    Thanks.

#35     Jun 9, 2008
  6. kamikaze

#36     Jun 9, 2008
  7. reg

reg

I was referring to TEENAGE suicide bombers.
    The minimum age requirement for kamikaze pilots by the Navy Air Force Cadet Officer System under the Japanese Imperial Forces was 20. Can't blame them for this age requirement, since I wouldn't trust a teenager to be able to fly a fighter aircraft myself.

Below is an image of an Arab TEENAGE suicide bomber in case I am not coming across clearly enough.

http://patdollard.com/wp-content/uploads/agaza500.jpg

#37     Jun 10, 2008
  8. i don't know if the question was sincere but here are a couple of sites with detail:

http://www.muslimheritage.com/

http://www.islamfortoday.com/history.htm

the question is are you looking to spread hate against muslims and arabs? if that's the case then carry on.

one thing i have learnt is that hate consumes itself eventually regardless who perpetuates it.

i get the feeling that i am going to be flamed and i'll tell u upfront that im not going to bother getting into useless arguments.

all i can say is that the controversial imams and muslims always get the media's attention while the majority of us who are rationale get ignored.

further info can be found at:

http://www.islamalways.com/
    http://www.islamnewsroom.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

but again these are sites for the sincere. when one has hate and anger, emotion takes over and rational goes out the window. i've seen this among muslims and non-muslims. very sad

#38     Jun 11, 2008
  9. Indians' contribution to the development of mathematics has largely been swept under the carpet in global history books. But a BBC crew, led by an Oxford professor, was in the country last week to film a documentary revealing Indians created some of the most fundamental mathematical theories.

The West has always believed that Sir Isaac Newton, famous for developing the laws of gravity and motion, was the brainbox behind key branches of maths such as calculus.

In The Story of Maths, Dr Marcus Du Sautoy, a professor of mathematics at the University of Oxford, claims Indians made many of these breakthroughs before Newton was born.

The Story of Maths, a four-part series, will be screened on BBC Four in 2008. The first part looks at the development of maths in ancient Greece, ancient Egypt and Babylon; the second focuses on India, China and Central Asia and the rest look at how maths developed in the West. The India reel focuses on how several Indians developed theories in maths that were later discovered by Westerners who took credit for them.

“A lot of people think maths was a Western invention,” said Du Sautoy. “This programme is about how a lot of things were done here in India before they were discovered in the West. So the programme is in fact quite political because it shows how much we have ignored discoveries in the East,” he said. Du Sautoy’s team of a director, a cameraman and a researcher left Mumbai on Monday.

In India, the team filmed on trains, inside sari stores, on the backwaters of Kerala and in rickshaws. “It’s been fantastic filming in India as the visual backdrop is so rich,” Du Sautoy said.

Aryabhatta (476–550 AD), who calculated pi, and Brahmagupta (598-670 AD) feature in the film, which also showcases a Gwalior temple, which documents the first inscription of ‘zero’.

“One of the biggest inventions in India was the number zero. Indians used it long before the West did,” said Du Sautoy. “When the West had Roman numerals there was no zero and that is why they were so clumsy. On the other hand, Brahmagupta was one of the key mathematicians in the world because he invented the idea of zero.”

The documentary also features the history of Kerala-born mathematician Madhava (1350-1425) who created calculus 300 years before Newton and German mathematician Gottfried Leibniz did, said Du Sautoy. “We learn that Newton invented the mathematical theory calculus in the 17th century but Madhava created it earlier,” Du Sautoy said.

Chennai-born Srinivasa Ramanujan (1887-1920) also features in the film. “He developed a lot of his own maths. He contacted English mathematician G.H. Hardy, who persuaded him to come to Cambridge. They began a collaboration between the analytical maths of the West and the intuitive maths of India, and together produced brilliant theories and amazing results.”

It was difficult for Ramanujan to travel to Britain because he was a Brahmin and not allowed to travel by sea. “He had to almost give up his religion but maths was also like a religion to him. He had no one to talk to in India because at that time no one was interested in his ideas,” said Du Sautoy.

All the major books on mathematics written in Arabian were just translations of Vedic books on mathematics. These barbarians invaded India & took everythin they could set their eyes on. The numbers we use today are not Arabian numerals but sanskrit numbers that were in use in India when these Arabain savages were nothin but nomads.

Algebra an Arab invention, my foot :mad:

#39     Jun 11, 2008
  10. you might want to suspend your prejudice for a moment.

i am an indian myself and i have some knowledge about indian history both pre-islamic and post.

the arabs INTRoUDCED mathematics to the europeans AFTER improving . the indians did not.

just like the arabs preserved greek philosophy, and then re-introduced it to the europeans.

the arabs were known to IMPROVE of any knowledge they came across. islam has 3 main points when it comes to knowledge.

1. find knowledge even if you have to travel to china (And they did)

2. learning starts from the cradle and ends in the grave. ie.

3. god created different tribes so we may learn from one another.

if the arabs were barbarians or savages, they would have destroyed any source of knowledge that were not from "muslims".

they knew that any knowledge was from god regardless of the religion or race of the person who first had the knowledge.

every civilization was made to contribute.

i don't blame you for being pissed off but keep in mind knowledge is only valuable when it can be shared with those from outside one's community/country. ie. benefit humankind and not just one race.

#40     Jun 11, 2008