List of 5 Traders Worth Studying

Discussion in 'Trading' started by fxpeculator, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Wanted to see what everyone thinks of these traders. Your favorites? I found the piece quite interesting. Does anyone know the real reason why Rogers and Soros split?

http://detachedtrader.com/2006/02/detached-traders-list-of-5-traders.html

The Detached Trader's List of 5 Traders Worth Studying

"Example is the best precept" Aesop, Ancient Greek and Author

Bruce Kovner, Hedge Fund Manager at Caxton Corporation
    Estimated Net Worth: $2 Yards Plus
    Primary Market: Currencies/FX
    Summary: Harvard educated, former Taxi driver, used credit from mastercard to start trading
    Personality Mention: Ultra secretive, mother committed suicide,Very creative and imaginative, politically conservative, Pro-Iraq war, from California
    Best resource on Kovner: Market Wizards, pg.51; George Soros's Right-Wing Twin (New York Metro)

Dan Zanger, Independent Trader, runs Chartpattern website
    Estimated Net Worth: $20 Million
    Primary market: Naz stocks
    Summary: High school graduate, Former ski bum and swimming pool repairman, got addicted to markets from "Charting the Market" television show, took leveraged account up 29,233% in one year during tech bubble
    Personality Mention: Little life outside of trading, trading extremist, trades from 88-foot yacht with international satellite reach, Raised in California, likes wines and art
    Best resource on Zanger: ChartPattern.com

Kenneth C. Griffin, Hedge Fund Manager of Citadel Investment Group
    Estimated Net Worth: $2 Yards Plus
    Primary Market: Bond Arbitrage
    Summary: Started trading stock options as freshman from Harvard dorm room, bond arb as sophomore, , was running millionion in college, Citadel big on quantitative trading methods, $12 yards plus under management
    Personality Mention: held second wedding in Garden of Versailles, taste for expensive Art, Doesn't allow anyone to talk to his former traders, tough guy to work for, Plays PS2 video games, wife runs separate hedge fund-Aragon Global, plays in soccer leagues, brainy
    Best resource on Griffin: Bloomberg Piece on Griffin

George Soros, Hedge Fund Manager (now passive) of Quantum Fund
    Estimated New Worth: $11 Yards Plus
    Primary Market: Currencies/FX
    Summary: Holocaust survivor, studied at London School of Economics, traded with Jim Rogers #5 before big fallout, Soros and network of associates gunned down (slapped cable/sterling for yards (billions) in profits in a week. Soros offshore entity alone slapped a $10 yard cable short on. Laughed when Bank of England said they would defend cable by borrowing $15 yards.
    Personality Mention: Insecure, divorced two times, emotionally detached, very ballsy-will go for the jugular if he sees something, morally and politically liberal, athiest, extremely dedicated to non-profit Open Society Institute, likes chess, checkers, and tennis.
    Best resource on Soros: Soros: The Life and Times of A Messianic Billionaire by Michael T. Kaufman

Jim Rogers, Independent Investor, Author of Hot Commodities
    Estimated Net Worth: $150 Million
    Primary Market: Commodities
    Summary: From Alabama, Educated at Yale and Oxford, founded Quantum Fund with Soros before 'the split' where rumors were thrown around. Fired from Morgan Stanley after the Soros split. Trades Anything and Everything with Macro outlook. World Traveler. Author of Hot Commodities , Adventure Capitalist, and Investment Biker
    Personality Mention: twice divorced/ currently married, misanthrope,emotionally detached, blunt, hard to work with, very contrarian, questions everything, Very original, well studied independent thinker, very frugal, rode motorcycle around the world and later drove modified Mercedes around world for Guinness World Records.
    Best resource: Market Wizards pg.283, Jim Rogers personal website

2. The best explanation I've found is provided by Soros in his "Alchemy of Finance." Quantum fund had been growing rapidly under Soros/Rogers, and Soros had been pressing R to take on headcount to better manage the workload.

As Soros described it, Rogers was a control freak and couldn't get along with anyone he (Rogers) hired. Finally, after a few years, Soros simply told Rogers that he (Soros) was going to restructure the fund and take on new talent.

Rogers turned hostile and went his separate way.

It seems to me Rogers still hopes/wants to get out from under the shadow of Soros. In R's travels around the world one might see a desire to be as worldly as Soros has always been. And of course Rogers always winces whenever introduced in connection with Soros. Seems as a general rule, R never mentions the "S" word.

Of course it can't help that Soros 'broke the Bank of England' long after Rogers left ...

3. No offense but Dan Zanger isn't remotely in that league, not even close. :confused:

comagnum likes this.
  4. Sanjuro

Sanjuro

I agree. I think he's a one time wonder.

It would be an insult to the other traders to even be mentioned with him.

7. The next 25 best traders after those four are people you and I never heard of and that is they way they want it.:)

8. Good point

9. Those of you criticizing Dan Zanger absolutely haven't understood the edge he has capitalized on.

Out of all the traders mentioned above, Zanger is the one offering the most precise strategies to make money with.

I'm trading a strategy very similar to his, and the results I've achieved so far with real money are nothing short of spectacular.

10. You're joking right. A guy who makes $20 million belongs in the pantheon of greatest traders? There are billionaire traders out there, BILLIONAIRE. Sure, $20 million in more money that I will likely ever see but that is chump change in the real world. And did you ever notice how the big money doesn't do interviews, or have websites, come on man, get real.

#10     Feb 27, 2006