Liquidity - Rebate Trading

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by 777, Mar 8, 2007.

1. rebate trading used to be a fun game back when we had the shavings on JDSU, SUNW, CIEN, and CMGI... I used to have fun on those markets... after the shavings dissapeared it just wasn't fun for me anymore... too slow, not as much money...

Now with the NMS it's getting even worse as you can't even lock Attain anymore... credits where a nice glitch in the market, but that money is fading away fast.

#11     Mar 11, 2007
  2. Exactly. You will be worried that you won't be able to get out of your trade. Hurry up and get in and out before you get ran over by the bulldozer and LOSE.

#12     Mar 11, 2007
  3. Rebate trading on the Nasdaq was very profitable for some people the last few years. As with any other type of trading, you need to have a plan/strategy to avoid the mentionned "bulldozer".

With crossing not being permitted anymore, a huge part of the rebate game is now gone, and traders are looking for new strategies that will most likely need to combine some spread profits to work out.

#13     Mar 11, 2007
  4. Hi, krazyanyway,

I learnt from your another post in Dec 2006 that your branch is quite profitable using the rebate trading strategy. How was it going after the reg NMS? I am a rebate trading trader and now in a difficult position to figure out a new way to earn money.

If anyone can supply any advice, thank you here very much.

#14     Mar 27, 2007
  5. up to a few days ago, it seemed that there was money to be made on the sub dollar stocks but then all the ecns changed their charge strutures to remove rebates on stocks under $1... :(

my friends are using the same stocks they used before for credit trading, but now they're looking for gross profits; trying to scalp a few cents.

#15     Mar 27, 2007
  6. Yeah the sub dollar was a definitely another hit ...
    Some people killed a stock last week (upwards of 50k) and the Nasdaq decided to cut the cord.

We basically try to upgrade our game by making gross profits.
    The credit is still a nice addon, but nowhere near what it was last month :(

#16     Mar 28, 2007
  7. it was an amex stock...

#17     Mar 28, 2007
  8. So what stock are you referring to... I heard EMC was a good one...

#18     Mar 29, 2007
  9. VRA was where the big cash was made.

#19     Mar 29, 2007
  10. yep. it moved over 200 MM shares that day... beautifull...

#20     Mar 29, 2007