LIPITOR....avoid at all costs if you can..

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by El OchoCinco, Aug 8, 2018.

1. GK Kid, I agree that a lot of what I read shows the link between fat/cholesterol and heart disease is extremely loose but I have seen plenty of links between high carb consumption/triglycerides and heart disease. I also read too much about what the statins do and as I said the best analogy is chopping the whole tree down to fix a branch.

I am also glad my doctor is also not a fan of statins except in specific high risk cases.

What I find amazing is that people don't realize that doctors don't do detailed studies themselves. A salesman comes with the research and FDA approval and promotes the product for their company (Pfizer, Merck,etc..) and the bullshit studies are used to justify it. Many doctors simply prescribe rather than look at the natural way to reverse the problem if it exists.

#11     Aug 8, 2018
  2. destriero

destriero

You can eat animal fats. The sclerosis is related to VLDL production from sweetened foods. There is a fish oil prescription med as well, so yes, fish should be a primary protein source.

#12     Aug 8, 2018
    Tsing Tao likes this.
  3. I do eat animal fats: chicken, some pork, some beef, fish. And no, I don't eat sweetened foods.

#13     Aug 8, 2018
  4. destriero

destriero

You eat no sugars. God this board is FOS.

#14     Aug 8, 2018
  5. Something I came across on the general internet (i.e. not research journals):

The same tactics used to lower cholesterol and triglycerides can help you lower your VLDL cholesterol. Here’s what you can do:

• Lose weight.
    • Cut out sugar – the American Heart Association (AHA) recommends only five percent of your daily calories come from added sugar.
    • Increase your fiber intake.
    • Limit fructose – fructose is a type of sugar that can contribute to high triglyceride levels.
    Let's skip lose weight and the next 3 are all related to controlling blood sugars.

After that the article says low fat diet and low to no saturated fats and finally taking medication (so half-assed correct). But the main point lost on many is that cholesteral and tri's stem from sugar- biggest "cancer" on the American diet.

#15     Aug 8, 2018
  6. Yes I agree & it is even worse that a rare "thinking" physician that does not prescribe a statin could get sued if disease later ensues.

I am not concerned about high blood cholesterol (unless its Familial Hyperlipidemia where cholesterol is astronomical), especially if carbs & PUFA are minimized.

Saturated fats are healthy (at least for me)!

#16     Aug 8, 2018
    destriero likes this.
  7. Let me clarify my above post to say I don't mean Zero sugars...I am trying to stay below a net carb maximum and that does includes sugars from dairy, fruits, vegetables and some treats.

#17     Aug 8, 2018
  8. Yes long ago, I believed fruit juice was very healthy...boy was I wrong. Fortunately I stopped feeding it to my son when he was very young. Apparently liver processing of fructose & alcohol are similar; liver goes into detox mode. Whole fruit has the helpful fiber, but still I don't eat much fruit except low-fructose berries. Robert Lustig is a current anti-fructose academic @ UCSF; see youtube for his presentations & book.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    #18     Aug 9, 2018
  9. To what extent can the damage be reversed, if at all with proper diet and lifestyle? I ask because as a kid I had hideous amounts of sugar. I've been doing the right thing for a good many years now, but can I (fully) escape the past?

#19     Aug 9, 2018
  10. I think you should make something of a distinction between naturally occurring sugars in whole foods and added sugar.

#20     Aug 9, 2018