LINUX & TT

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by LincolnArmy, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Does anyone run TT on a linux platform? Can it be done?
    Are there any futures trading software that runs on linux?
    (I'm new to linux -sorry if these questions are basic/obvious).

2. GUI or CLI? I assume GUI because TT is pretty pointless without it.

Try running it in WINE. It'll be trial & error unless whatever flavor of *nix you are running is supported by TT. Between Cygwin for Windows and WINE for *nix OS you can pretty much run anything on anything these days.

What flavor of Linux are you running?

3. Thanks for replying Winston. I've got linux MINT cinamon. I've got WINE installed. To be honest I didn't understand the rest of what you said but that will be a starting point for me to work it all out.

4. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would give an OS a name like that or why anyone on earth would install it on their machine and expect it to work.

Wine
    Cinnamon
    Mint
    Ice Cream Sandwich
    Safari

All of that tells me that stuff is trash and anyone who installs it and ends up in disaster gets what they asked for. Who are they marketing to? Tweens?

How about names which imply stable, safe, secure, reliable, efficient, etc.?

5. FXforex

FXforex

Code names for Debian's releases:

• buzz
    • rex
    • bo
    • hamm
    • slink
    • potato
    • woody
    • sarge
    • etch
    • lenny
    • squeeze
    • wheezy
    • jessie

6. I should start off by saying that I assume by "TT" you mean quotes and ladders and a graphical representation of the markets - I assume you want the charts and quotes...

GUI = Graphical User Interface
    CLI - Command Line Interface

Cygwin is the same thing as WINE. WINE provides a Windows environment within Linux and Cygwin provides a *nix environment within Windows. (Linux or UNIX and other flavors are generally written *nix since they all have a "nix" sounding suffix)

The problem you have isn't like trying to switch between different windows operating systems (for example many programs work on Windows XP as well as Windows 7). The kernel of a Linux operating system is fundamentally different from a Windows OS. It just won't work. like putting a square peg into a round hole... Not going to happen... unless you can make it work on WINE.

I know that some applications work within WINE (windows simulated environment) and some don't. Just call TT and ask them. Or look to download TT for *nix (if available). I know you probably won't get quotes and news and it'll be buggy as heck - but go for it. If you have to ask here I'd say don't do it. Its not over my head but it just seems like such a pain in the rear end I wouldn't even want to try.

Why are you using MINT? Are you cheap? (no offense) Do you like it? Security? Other applications? Why not run Windows 8.1 on a 90-day trial and re-install a few times if you are going through trial and error or troubleshooting? Server 2012r2 comes with a 180d trial if you wanted something a little less user friendly but longer trial (just Google how to enable wifi support if you need BEFORE you install 2012r2... it's in Roles and Features).

GUI is your typical desktop, Windows, Linux, etc. like this Ubuntu desktop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CLI is what most think of the old school black screen with green text. There is no graphical anything, it's simply command line and does/runs whatever you need without a graphical representation (like this Ubuntu server CLI):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. My tablet and my "bat phone" (second phone) runs Ice Cream Sandwich... I love it...

EDIT:

To add to this, rumor has it that Ubuntu's 12.04 LTS operation system was code named "Precise Pangolin" because Ubuntu is an African name/derivative and that at the time Apple's OS was code named LION... and it just so happens that a Pangolin is a small little African creature who can curl up into a ball and out-wit and survive a lion attack... :)

8. They are often non-commercial developers often doing work for free out of self interest and mutual human benefit. (With the exception of Android, being mainly developed by Google, but in that case they are following a tradition of the developers from before Google acquired the platform...as all releases are named after deserts.)

Coding is not exactly high adrenaline exciting work.

So these programmers try to have some fun with the little things like this. . . gives the process a little life.

9. Incase anyone looks closely, those pictures are of the same exact operating system - both are Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

10. Thanks for the overview on the OS naming guys.

I did that CLI back in the 1980's at Westinghouse. Those were the olden days for sure.

#10     Jan 22, 2014