Linux/iPad/iPhone integration?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sle, Jun 18, 2017.

1. sle

sle

As usual, not exactly the right place, but I figured since the issue involves Apple devices it's best to ask here.

My home laptop runs Ubuntu and I am very happy with it. I have also been using Android as my cell phone system and they work together well enough.

However, new place of employment demands that I carry a firm issued device - an iPhone. I don't want to always lug two devices with me so I am going to switch fully to iPhone. Happy enough with it, solid product except Apple does not make iTunes for Linux and that means I can't sync the music or photo libraries. Surely someone out there has encountered this particular problem and has a solution?

2. dumpdapump

dumpdapump

My best advice is to separate work and private phones even at the expense of having to carry around two devices. I heard of tons of horror stories of people who mixed the two, especially in financial services.

apdxyk, Stocktracker and Jack_Larkin like this.
  3. This.

4. Amen...!

5. sle

sle

Like what kinds?

Ps. I am planning to keep emails and texts separated by using a secure phone hosting service (similar to Google Voice, there at a few choices out there at a reasonable price).

6. i960

i960

If you had another box that could run iTunes for windows or even a Macbook of some sort you could simply setup an NFS share between the Ubuntu laptop and <insert-whatever-thing-here> and use that as a form of interhost transfer. A bit clunky but it could be made to work.

There's also this: http://www.libimobiledevice.org

I'm a die-hard unix guy here with a lot of experience on different variants but also "fluent" in both Windows and MacOS. I personally use a Macbook Pro for most stuff after doing the whole KDE / Linux desktop thing for ages. Probably wouldn't go back given that I have everything easily accessible to me (which is usually: browser, RDC client to a windows host for trading stuff, Mail app, and most importantly: a good terminal app, which OSX has).

7. People are really helpfull in advice that you need to separate everything here really with all possible capabilities there and I can confirm it really you also need to take it more seriously as work device or something like that, so be prepared, do not do it!

apdxyk likes this.
  8. I found it easier to deal with the devices of one brand. I am not very original here probably but prefer to have apple devices. It is extremely easy to back up ipad to mac https://applenapps.com/back-up-ipad-to-mac/. It is also much easier to sync iphone with the macbook etc etc. I can imagine that connecting/backing up ipad/iphone to microsoft device would be a little more complicated.