LINUX goes GLOBAL

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by nononsense, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Really. Huh... gentoo's not kickin on your hw anymore?

#11     Jul 20, 2005
  2. come on now we all know linux is getting old
    the ice in my bsd keeps the cristal cold

#12     Jul 20, 2005
  3. nitro

nitro

I can't stand linux integrated development environments.

nitro

#13     Jul 20, 2005
  4. They are not $soft - which has one of the nicest IDE's but Eclipse is pretty good and it can be customized to your liking - if you are willing to do most of the work.

There are a number of open source tools which when combined, allow a decent development toolbox to be constructed - more than enough to get the job done at a very competitive cost.

#14     Jul 20, 2005
  5. nitro

nitro

Eclipse sucks by Windows Development Environment (DI) standards. The only thing worth using on Linux is the Borland Integrated DIs, except no one wants to be locked into them.

Setting things up like Apache etc is a no brainer on Linux. Getting on a serious programming project on Linux vs Windows for the small company is a nightmare.

nitro

#15     Jul 20, 2005
  6. ...havn't had this issue but then we made a very serious decision to divest ourselves of $soft and $racle as quickly as possible. There was a cost to this initially. Now we are very productive within the development environment and we are free of monopolistic practices and threats to our business from unreliable and untrustworthy business partners. Freeing ourselves from uncontrolled future price increases in our infrastructure (as much as possible) was a huge win ......

#16     Jul 20, 2005
  7. I was taking a quick look at Kdeveloper last night. Looks pretty robust for C/C++,etc dev. CVS and other stuff all configurable, going through (360+) plugins. Lessens the bloat of what you don't need. The only caveat I think, is you need to be using a kde desk top manager. But hey, kde's better than gnome anyway, imo.

#17     Jul 20, 2005
  8. #18     Jul 20, 2005
  9. nitro

nitro

That's not bad...

I will give it a try - thx for the link.

nitro

#19     Jul 20, 2005
  10. Hi nitro,

Your statement is far too general and also shows IMHO personal fear of looking at unfamiliar things.

As you know, I practically do 99+% of my development in python now. I'm using eric for IDE. Runs on anything, even M$. As you may know this is based on Qt which I use as framework. It can also be used in C/C++. In fact Qt is C ++ based. Anytime I look for a new package in linux, Qt keeps popping up in those that work best! As a long, long time M$ Visual victim, I can tell you there is simply no comparison between M$ stuff and mine. Sloppy documentation with M$ everywhere, never any real help from M$ with problems. In fact, over the years, I have the feeling I helped them more with bugs than they ever helped me. I said, enough is enough. Can't understand how you can write the above. Anyhow, I respect your preference.

C++ development with linux is very smooth too. It suffices to read the commentaries in the newsgroups about compilation problems of major packages. Mostly you have a choice of some 3 or 4 compilers. It always seems to be the Visual stuff that people complain about (before or after .NET).
    You have ample choice in well seasoned IDE environments, including Borland which is PRETTY GOOD BTW. I can't understand why you can say that you don't want to be ' locked in' by Borland. It seems you got yourself pretty much locked in right now.

Be good,
    nononsense

#20     Jul 20, 2005