Linksys WRT54GL

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silver914, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Thanks. I curently have the WRT54 as well. I am only going to buy it for the ability to tweak the router settings aka firmware. All the newer WRT54s (including the one you linked to, although I did look at that one) have no adjustments available to the router settings.

Range doesn't matter to me as I have that dialed with the external antennas.

#11     Jun 26, 2007
  2. Thats the same reason I sold my Linksys. Not to mention is it 100 times easier to configure.

#12     Jun 26, 2007
  3. #13     Jun 26, 2007
  4. gnome

gnome

1. Did you used the Linksys high gain antenna replacement or some other?... Linksys site indicates compatibility with "54G", but "54GL" not listed.

2. I'm getting a wireless network for the house... 1st time.... I thought about getting "draft N" hardware, but decided to get "11g" instead. Reasons...

A. 11g currently about 1/3 the cost

B. By the time "N" standard is finalized, price drop will probably be such that I could buy new hardware then for less than now.

C. Mostly internet use, so majority of "N" speed would go unused.

Have I missed something here?

Thanks,

#14     Jul 25, 2007
  5. Gnome: there are two antennas on the WRT54G and the GL. If you are planning on using an external antenna you simply unscrew one off the router and hook it up. It's just an antenna. Btw, Hawkings are the way to go.

#15     Jul 25, 2007
  6. gnome

gnome

Just one, not both?

#16     Jul 25, 2007
  7. Ya, just one. Before I did it I searched all over for a "how to" reference. No such luck. So I just bought the hardware and found out for myself. Works like a charm.

Helpful hint: pay attention to the connection hardware. I had a bit of trouble finding it, but it's on the 'net. I'll look into it if you want, but I can't remember the exact items. Depends on the antenna you get I suppose.

#17     Jul 25, 2007
  8. LInksys router worked great, until I decided to buy a card for my new computer.

I went through three cards (non linksys) and none worked with it, although they were all supposed to be the same standard. Linksys support not helpful, they kept blaming msft drivers. Finally, I had to use some firmware driver for brcm chip on my buffalo card to get it to work.

Crapped out a yr later. Long story short, don't try to mix vendors, even though they use same standards.

#18     Jul 25, 2007
  9. gnome

gnome

You might want to read through reviews on Newegg... they will often mention mixed brand equipment which is working well for them.

Current 11g PCI card getting good reviews is the MSI PC60G... it's cheap and they say it works just great with Linksys and other.... in fact, many say it works better with 54GL than Linksys' own PCI adapter....

#19     Jul 25, 2007