Linksys WRT54GL

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silver914, Jun 26, 2007.

1. I'm going to buy one. Just curious as to wether anyone else has one, what they like and dislike about it, or if they have any suggestions.

Linksys WRT54GL

2. I've been using this router for a while now, and it performs very well... needs a reboot about once every couple of weeks as the wireless side of the network gets flakey from time to time.

I also replaced the antenna's with high gain, but that was to help improve the wireless to the other side of my house as there are several walls with cinder block construction...

Although I think this is a very good router / wap, if I were in the market for a new one, I'd select one that also supports the emerging n specification, so when you're ready to move to wireless - n, at least the router will be ready...

3. I have the WRT54G now with an updated antenna setup. My laptop and desktop systems along with my router are located in my trading office which is a separate building about 500 yards away from the house. I use two Hawking hi-gain outdoor directional antennas facing each other to send internet access to the house (it's further away from my cable connection).

I too have to reset the WRT54G, but only about once every month or two. It depends on the power outages or weather or something. It never happens when I'm trading. Just sometimes I come to work and it needs reset. I think it's a common problem, but once you know about it...

My interest in changing to the WRT54GL is the open source firmware which you cannot update to with my particular WRT54G. I know some of the older ones you can, but mine is only about a year or two old.

4. Had one for a year. Worked great. Periodic reboots, though I cant recall how often... Perhaps once a month...

OF course since, I have learned it is best to keep your trading computer on a Hardwire... No trading on the deck. LOL.

5. i used to use linksys and switched to an apple airport extreme...it is amazing how much better the airport is...and faster...

worth the extra money....

6. I checked out the website and my question is would it work with an external antenna set up? I am tempted once sometimes twice a year to shitcan all my PC stuff and go Apple, but not yet. I like Apple's OS a lot more than XP let alone Vista.

And I see this works with PCs. As I stated earlier my trading office is a good 500 yards away from the house so I run a pair of external antennas to access the internet from the house. Does the Apple Airport Extreme offer the ability to connect an external antenna?

7. nope...but the range is awesome...500 yards might be a stretch...

8. My trading is done strictly hardwired.

I would be curious to hear from those that have used the optional firmware or tweaked this router in any way. Again this is the WRT54GL. The L stands for Linux. Although you do not need to be running Linux to use it.

9. Thanks. I should just run a hard wire to the house, but I'm a lazy bastard. Plus I live in buttfuck Egypt so renting a vibrating plow is out of the question. I'd have to use a backhoe or excavator and that just is going too far for a measly RG6 cable. But all my utilities are underground and I don't want to make the exception for the internet.

#10     Jun 26, 2007