Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DataCruncher, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Anybody know if this works fine with the Motorola surfboard cable modems that Comcast cable gives you? I can't seem to find a list of routers that are compatible with the cable modem. Will a new router work with a relatively older cable modem?

2. feotrader

feotrader

Well cable modem works with any kind of TCP/IP wireless router.

3. if you want the fastest internet connection for scalping, is it better to use no router and just directly connect your computer to your cable modem? does having a router in between necessarily slow trade execution down?

4. No diff that the human mind can notice. My laptop prices change at exactly the same time as my desktop, which is hard wired to the modem. The laptop probably sends the orders faster as well. Much faster PC.

You shouldn't really worry about speed at this level unless you are scalping for tics, and there are very few people around that can do that anymore thanks to all the black box programs out there.

5. kinar

kinar

Correct. While the router will technically, introduces another "hop" in the connection, since it is considered "local" (LAN), it should add less than 1ms (1/1000th of a second) to the latency unless it is malfunctioning.

However, I would warn against using linksys routers. I've had countless problems with them in the past (especially thier gigabit line).

If you are looking for a home use class gigabit router, you can't beat the Dlink DIR-655.