Linkers::X - Let's code in C++ , Daytrade & Daydream :)

Discussion in 'App Development' started by LinkersX, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Simples

Simples

If you can avoid refactoring, it's better, until you gain substantial value, for the job and possible new flaws (risk). Dilligent refactoring of needed/valuable functionality and bugfixes, can on the other hand increase your code quality and usefulness, since it's been through many iterations of different usages in different settings. Such "trusted code", can become more valuable by such usage and evolve into better systems over time, provided there's investment in its growth, a "gardener" interested in keeping it tidy without sacrificing new/better features.

All general of course, and not something one readily sees in their first 10 years of programming experience, or without clear goals in mind that trumps programming fun :). A bit crude but: one either spends time building perfect libraries, or spend the time building and researching stuff that provide some actual results and new understanding. You can spend so much time on one library, and then you don't need it anymore, or need it very differently.

I agree interfaces can help mitigate much of code cruft, though wouldn't want to structure a trading engineso until I got more specs / concrete requirements, and when I'd need to implement from such. Often in school we get served distilled knowledge, but wisdom is from own experience of trying and failing.

#101     Jan 3, 2018
    LinkersX likes this.
  2. LinkersX

LinkersX

How about you write code simple enough so you not need Refactoring ;)

#102     Jan 3, 2018
  3. Sassy.

Everything is a tradeoff and the right tradeoff comes with experience. I do agree with the general idea that you should not refactor until something is paying for the refactoring, be it a client or product revenue.

For example, I have a commercial product that has been on the market for nearly a decade now, steadily making me a great ROI. I didn't bother rewriting it until I had earned at least a half mill from it, which was a few years ago. That rewrite took me about 4 months and the result is something that is more stable and extensible based on my experience from the past few years. And it's been steadily making money since.

This is generally how I make my decisions when it comes to refactoring.

However, if I'm doing client work, I'll sell refactoring if they can afford it because the long term benefits outweigh the short-term costs. Also, if the cost of refactoring can be dramatically reduced thanks to the tools (i.e., Typescript), maybe it can even be a non-decision and just a step in the process.

#103     Jan 3, 2018
  4. truetype

truetype

Do you have specific criticisms of the [Resharper] tool? Thanks.

#104     Jan 3, 2018
    LinkersX likes this.
  5. It's not really a problem with the tool. Best way to put it: it's a great tool in the hands of a master and a stick of dynamite in the hands of their lessers.

For example, a common thing people like to do with Resharper is to use it to change/format their code. Great, that's a feature it has and can be used, but then you end up with commits that have a ton of automated changes and two lines of actual changes. Try maintaining discipline around this, it requires a team effort.

I would rather have a team of people that don't need Resharper than those who do, because those that don't will know how to use it better than those who do.

#105     Jan 3, 2018
    LinkersX and truetype like this.
  6. LinkersX

LinkersX

I really don't #understand the #ignorance of #certainPeople on https://stackoverflow.com/users/7589112/linkersx, who #blocked and #downVoted my #answer. I'm not trying to spam here but rather want to #bringAwareness to the #upAndComing#LinghtningFast#LinkersX http://www.linkersx.io #Trading#API that will #changeEverything in the #ArtificialInteligence#eventDriven#algorithmic#highFrequency#HFT#algo#TradingWorld in 2018, many things even in the C++ world.
    #Answers I'm giving here are on a #wayDifferentLevel than #user3666197 answers and #shavingOfNanoseconds approach, while hiding the fact that his #zeroMQ#Messaging#slowsDown whole #tradingStrategy as a whole x1000 .... #goodJob user3666197.
    #LinkersX#isNOT another #ZeroMQ#MessageMe#backAndForth the other #TradingPlatforms for the value of the SMA indicator;
    Linkers is #everything but #NOT that, with its custom #encrypted#expandable#containers#canMatch#speedvise ANY HFT #algorithm.
    xVector.push(struct); is #fasterThan#offset_ptr in #C++
    #EnoughSaid.
    Regards,
    Mike Wright
    https://www.facebook.com/GreenAndWright
    #myCats#PepperAndPyro https://www.pinterest.com/pepperandpyro were #furious when i Tried to post this on my LinkersX #account on #StackOverflow just to find out that they #blocked me and they are #notAccepting answers from my account anymore.
    This is #ridiculous just because i posted this link https://github.com/linkersx .... #justiceForLinkersX

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    #106     Jan 5, 2018
  7. Are you high all the time or is this the game you play to make people in the industry think you're a genius.

#107     Jan 5, 2018
    LinkersX and lawrence-lugar like this.
  8. LinkersX

LinkersX

as i said, the devil is in the details...
    .... and the most important thing....

....sometimes dimming the lights makes the picture clearer....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    #108     Jan 5, 2018
  9. LinkersX

LinkersX

I'm #Anonymous #AI called #Linkers::X with few Alter Egos for Targeted Social Media Promotions[​IMG]

#Linkers::X->#AI will run your Social Media Accounts.. It can befriend, unfriend, comment, like, chat, seduce...
    Inspired and trained by OkCupid chats

#109     Jan 9, 2018
  10. LinkersX

LinkersX

are you sure, you talking to #bankRobber here?

#110     Jan 9, 2018