Linear regression fit of stock prices

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mililani, Jun 8, 2009.

1. R is an excellent software for this kind of analytical work. However its problem lies in database integration. Unless you can really dig deep into the dirty you cannot build a reliable RT data link between R and your database of choice. A friend of mine's fund somehow managed to pull it off but for individual traders it's better to stay with the proven commercial software such as Matlab or SAS. Yes it's kinda expensive but you get your money's worth. SAS can link up with SQL databases pretty well and Matlab is more powerful function-wise, but you have to build your own data link (much much easier than R though).

#11     Jun 9, 2009
  2. mililani

mililani

Yahoo and Google Finance? Do they allow you to download their database of stocks?

I need the hard data local. You can't run simulations on Yahoo finance.

#12     Jun 9, 2009
  3. If you want that much data you'll have to buy it.

#13     Jun 9, 2009
  4. mililani

mililani

Ok, can you suggest a source to buy?

#14     Jun 9, 2009
  5. Are you looking for unfiltered tick level data or other data like one-minute, hourly, EOD, etc?

#15     Jun 9, 2009
  6. mililani

mililani

Not that granular. End of day prices works for me. But I do need access to some basic characteristics of the stock, e.g. market cap.

#16     Jun 9, 2009
  7. How many years of data do you want for each stock?

#17     Jun 9, 2009
  8. In that case you can use a quote download software (e.g. Historical Quotes Downloader) to download free EOD ASCII quotes directly from Yahoo. I believe there are some freeware that can do this as well. From there you can build a dynamic data link to whatever database you are using.

#18     Jun 9, 2009
  9. jbusse

jbusse

Yahoo data are survivor biased. Especially important issue these days.

#19     Jun 9, 2009
  10. mililani

mililani

Actually, survivor bias is something I should consider. The Yahoo data will not work because of this. Also, I need to know every stock in the universe to download the data. I would just rather have a more complete database myself. I think 50 years of data will be fine.

#20     Jun 9, 2009