Lindsey Graham floats censure with Trump

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Spike Trader, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Lindsey Graham floats censure with Trump in London: Senate trial will be too ‘traumatic’ on ‘the country’

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) suggested on Tuesday that President Donald Trump might be censured to prevent the country from going through a “traumatic” impeachment trial in the Senate.

Graham, who has been Trump’s biggest defender in the Senate, made the suggestion when he was asked about a possible censure, according to CBS journalist Alan He.

“Who am I to advise my Dem colleagues about what to do,” Graham reportedly said. “Censure would probably gain some bipartisan support… the country going through an impeachment trial would be traumatic and I think we should avoid that if possible.”

upload_2019-12-3_21-46-49.png

MrKJoe likes this.
  2. Snarkhund

Snarkhund

If the GOP does *anything* except conduct a trial and acquit they will be finished as a political party.

MrKJoe likes this.
  3. or they will be celebrated for finding their spine and principled once again.

4. destriero

destriero

lol dipshit, as if the planet doesn't know that they need 67 in the Senate. Your boy is getting impeached.

5. You don't like Dems and GOP will be finished so that means you will go to Jill Stein rallies!

6. piezoe

piezoe

In the past, when a President's term would expire in less than a Year, Moscow Mitch said it was too close to an election to do anything important like hold confirmation hearings, let alone a vote, on a Supreme Court Justice. I imagine an Impeachment trial is also way too important not to be put off. If the articles on impeachment are not received by the Senate by Jan 20, 2020, I suppose the only thing Moscow Mitch can do is ignore them as being too important to act on that close to an election. At the very least, he would need to clear any decision on such an important matter with Vladimir Putin before pressing forward.

7. Snarkhund

Snarkhund

You simply refuse to acknowledge the actual mechanization of the Biden Rule.

It only applies if the Executive and the majority of the Senate hail from different parties. You know this.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  8. Yeh, well, this idea does not really arise with Lindsey.

There is someone else who desperately wants this more than the Republicans, and that is Nancy Pelosi.

Censures are actually kind of murky anyway. The constitution does not speak to them. I think that if they just want to ram a censure through the House just on a majority vote, they can do it. They have the votes. Pelosi knows its their last off-ramp and they would be wise to take it.

I dont think there is such a thing as referring a censure resolution to the Senate as part of impeachment. I mean, they could do it, but the Constitution does not recognize it. The Senate could acquit and decide to issue a censure but that censure does not arise from the impeachment clause. What I am getting at is that anything that goes from the House to the Senate has to be an actual article of impeachment. Otherwise it is just a bunch of blabber and resolutions and censures which are also just resolutions, sorta. Censures against house and senate members under their own rules have some penalties, but against a President. Ahh, just verbal slaps.

Be careful Tards, you are not all that smart.

Nancy Pelosi should consider censure as impeachment off-ramp

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/03/opinions/pelosi-impeachment-censure-trump-heye/index.html

Snarkhund likes this.
  9. piezoe

piezoe

Silly me. You're right! Moscow Mitch will have to find some other reason why the impeachment trial can not be held. Perhaps Putin will put his foot down and say , "точно нет".

10. Cuddles

Cuddles

You took that shameless comical reason seriously didn't you?

#10     Dec 3, 2019