Limitations in backtesting

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by oddiduro, Dec 5, 2003.

1. oddiduro,

The statement "Any system can be made to work with money management, some work better in real time than with backtesting," has caught my attention.

Rather than asking for elaboration on this subject in the form of commentary and reasoning, I am wondering if you would put this to the test with a simple system of your choosing, such as a MA crossover or a breakout system, and show how a simple indicator loser can be turned into a winner with MM. I would be eternally grateful if you would be willing to do this in this or another thread, and I'm certain many other system traders would find it fascinating.

If you want I can provide a simple TradeStation system that loses money if this will get things started. If you have any minimum criteria for the system, let me know.

TriPack

#31     Dec 7, 2003
  2. I'm game:D

Provide your system. This should be an interesting learning experience.

Regards
    Oddi

#32     Dec 8, 2003
  3. Here's one:

Variable: MA(0), ATR(0);

MA = Average(Close, 10);
    ATR = AvgTrueRange(10);

If MA > MA[1] then Buy at High[1] Stop;
    If MA < MA[1] then Sell at Low[1] Stop;

ExitLong at EntryPrice - ATR Stop;
    ExitShort at EntryPrice + ATR Stop;

Testing period has to be at least 3 years under an 1 min. bar basis. This is because you can take any short profitable (trending) period of a system and say you turned it around. And also it does a lot of trades to show enough samples.

Because it's a MM rule to be added, the entry/exit is hard set. No criteria is to be added or changed, for example adding another set of entry, stoploss exit or profit-taking exit.

Oddi, let's get it on! :D

#33     Dec 8, 2003
  4. Okay, wait........

If no stoploss or profit taking parameters are allowed, then how are we supposed to manage the money?

Perhaps we need to define what "money management" is. I may have a misunderstanding:confused:

Regards
    Oddi

#34     Dec 8, 2003
  5. Yes I thought stoploss and profit target were money management.

Oddiduro,

If you want to use Gann's system that's fine with me, though if Gann won't let you add MM then there's probably no point.

#35     Dec 8, 2003
  6. As a backup system here are the simple rules: Buy at the highest high of the previous two bars + some constant on a stop. Do the reverse to go short. The system is always in (SAR). Feel free to add whatever MM rules you wish.

Apply to a 15 minute chart: (or you could pick another timeframe)

Code:
    { 
        feel free to optimize this input or make it a 
        variable and base it on volatility or whatever works
    }
    Inputs: StpAmt(1); 

Buy at Highest(High, 2)[1] + StpAmt Stop;
    Sell at Lowest(Low,2)[1] - StpAmt Stop;

#36     Dec 8, 2003
  7. rickty

rickty

Money Management (MM) means different things to different people. I primarily think of MM as "position sizing". That is, managing the number of contracts (futures) or shares (stocks). Others, obviously refer to MM as stoploss and profit targets.

Richard

#37     Dec 8, 2003
  8. I guess I should have said "were components of money management."

I don't claim to be any kind of MM expert, so maybe I'm off base and it is primarily position sizing and not stop loss and profit target. I'm just here to learn. Thanks for your comments.

#38     Dec 8, 2003
  9. LOL...

OK... take only the:

MA = Average(Close, 10)

If MA > MA[1] then Buy at High[1] Stop;
    If MA < MA[1] then Sell at Low[1] Stop;

3+ year data... 1 min. bar...

Please add other "MM" rules in your terms.

:D

#39     Dec 8, 2003
  10. okay, now we can have a discussion:D

Your system is a beautiful example of a limitation in backtesting.

The backtest will show entries and exits at the end of the bar, but at the 1 minute level, we are scalping, from the looks of the system. Price is so sensitive that entries and exits intrabar will affect the viability of the system. If had to trade this, I would put a breakeven stop, and stop loss below the low of the second bar.

Your turn:D

#40     Dec 8, 2003