limit to max spread?

Discussion in 'Options' started by loufah, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Not even close ...

#31     Oct 29, 2002
  2. Michael,

Very true, however, one can avail oneself of so much more than is available to the general public.

Best,
    Hardrock

P.S. But, what do I know, I am just the general public as far as you are concerned, right?

#32     Oct 29, 2002
  3. def

def Sponsor

creative doesn't necessarily equate to legal.

#33     Oct 30, 2002
  4. Any one remember tax straddles?
    Tax man has no sense of humor.

#34     Oct 30, 2002
  5. nitro

nitro

Tax straddles?

nitro

#35     Oct 30, 2002
  6. nitro

nitro

Cuba?

nitro

#36     Oct 30, 2002
  7. Cyrus, Fiji, Tahiti; maybe Cuba in a couple of years ...

#37     Oct 31, 2002
  8. There was a time when you could move profits from one year to another by putting on a straddle position say in silver and just before the end of the year liquidated which ever side that had a loss to offset trading profits you had taken during the year. If silver had been moving up then you would cover the short side of the straddle taking a loss. Establish a new short position in another month, then undo the straddle after Jan 1. IRS decided should be marked to the market, left everyone that was doing them with huge tax liabilities. Was not pretty.

No one likes Bermuda? I thought tax laws were good there, golf courses are nice.

#38     Oct 31, 2002
  9. nitro

nitro

Yikes!

Thanks for the explanation.

nitro

#39     Oct 31, 2002
  10. jaan

jaan

well, i remember you boasting on another thread how important each millisecond is to your style of trading.

if that's true, then the answer to your question must be long island, because for each 300km you move away from the stock exchange you lose at least 1ms. that's the speed of light, you know.

of course, you could setup proxy machines in the US... that's what we - being in europe - considered at one point.

- jaan

#40     Nov 2, 2002