Limit on followed thread alerts ?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by zdave83, Nov 27, 2019.

1. zdave83

zdave83

Is there a limit on the number of alerts for followed threads? I often find that threads I've followed have new posts but no alert.

Anyone else experience this ?

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The way it works is this. Let's say you get 10 alerts one day about certain threads having new posts. You must view the new posts in all 10 threads in order to keep getting alerts about new posts them. In the event you only checked out the new posts in 6 of the 10 threads, you will only continue to get alerts in those 6 threads. You will not continue to get alerts in the 4 you neglected to revisit. So those 4 threads could continue to get new posts day after day but you wouldn't continue to get alerts about those posts.

It's done that way so you won't get a million alerts every day about every single post that is added to various threads. Instead, you're only getting alerts about the new posts in threads you're revisiting and staying on top of.

3. zdave83

zdave83

Appreciate the response. I check alerts often but will keep that in mind as I try to determine if I'm missing new posts of threads I've checked. Thanks

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Here's another feature you might find useful. If you look at the blue bar near the top of any page here, you'll see a link that says "Followed Threads". Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 7.52.28 AM.png

If you click on that link, you'll be taken to a page that shows you a list of threads you follow that contain unread posts. At the bottom of that page, there's a link to show all of the threads you follow, whether they have unread posts or not. You can always tell which threads have unread posts because those thread titles will be in bold and they will have a little red icon to the left of the title.

5. zdave83

zdave83

Wow that's huge. I thought it was a list of all followed threads ... not ones with unread posts. I just didn't pay enough attention when I initially toured the site. So, I was trying to use Alerts for that purpose ... my bad. Many thanks !

Baron likes this.