Limit moves during rollover period

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by illiquid, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Say a contract goes locked limit up for a series of days that also coincide with the rollover date into the next contract month -- is it common for people to be locked out of one's position? You would need to sell your current contract (assume it's impossible to take delivery) which is not a problem but then also buy in the next liquid month, which you can't if it's limit up as well. What is the best way to remedy this?

2. m22au

m22au

Interesting question illiquid ... I would suggest:

(1) Rolling over early to avoid this problem
    (2) Hedging with stocks or another related instrument

What particular contract are you talking about? Or is this a hypothetical question?

3. It's a hypothetical, just anticipating what the mechanics of such an occurrence would be.

4. Would have to be completely limit locked for a week plus, since most volume tends to roll to the next period a week or more before expiration - but contracts do still get traded even on days prices trigger limits so even in the unusual condition of price limits for more than a week you'd still have a chance of getting square.

5. Pabst

Pabst

SPREADS TRADE REGARDLESS IF CONTRACTS ARE LIMIT UP!!!!

6. m22au

m22au

Pabst,

The only spreads I am familiar with are the likes of margarine, jam and Vegemite.

Can you tell me how they relate to futures?

Thanks