Lil' Timmy Geithner Owned by Kevin Brady

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ivanovich, Nov 19, 2009.

1. I say scalp them whenever they poke their pointy little heads up.

It was little Timmy's turn this time.

He really does deserve a criminal tax evasion trial.

#31     Nov 20, 2009
  2. Forget the damn politics. I'm just damn pissed that the Wall Street fat cats that were solely responsible for the mess that we're in today are the direct beneficiaries of the stock market rally thanks largely to the artificial weakening of the dollar qua low-interest policy and not due to the overall economic recovery.

Man, isn't that the real issue? Goldman Sachs and their TARP buddies have all the reasons to rejoice with their yearly bonuses while the ordinary joe sixpack and his unemployed buddies can only bask in the flitting hope of seeing a few of the crumbs from those bonuses drop (ie. trickle down) to their shitty lot.

#32     Nov 21, 2009
  3. Brady is a drama queen, he is only using the stage to further his interest or sense of self importance, my guess is the latter. Where was the outrage when Bush and Paulson were doing the exact same thing Obama and Geithner are doing? The republicans are down right pathetic. What a bunch of crybabys. Congratulations republicans you've beat the democrats at being full of it, not an easy task either.

#33     Nov 21, 2009
  4. WELL ACTUALLY, Bush and Paulson RAPED AMERICA in far greater measure than Geitner ever will be able to , but only because Geitner is a total dumbass BOOTLICKER!!!!!!!

#34     Nov 21, 2009
  5. bgp

bgp

landis is correct about KING HENRY and DUBW. i cant get this out of my mind is how many phone calls king henry was making to goldman when the crisis was happening . NO CONFLICTS?

BP :confused:

#35     Nov 21, 2009
  6. There is a growing political perception that a sacrifice will have to be made, and that sacrifice will likely be Geithner to preserve the Obama administration's face. Out of Bernanke, Sumners, Geithner, that last one is the weakest link.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/68801-geithner-feels-pressure-from-left-right-to-resign

----------------------------------------------

Geithner feels pressure from left, right to resign
    By Silla Brush and Sam Youngman - 11/20/09 06:00 AM ET

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner is coming under new pressure from conservative Republicans and liberal Democrats to resign.

Reps. Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.) and Kevin Brady (R-Texas) this week joined a small group of lawmakers publicly calling for Geithner to step down. Former Republican Rep. Rob Simmons, who is challenging Sen. Chris Dodd (D) for Senate in Connecticut, has made Geithner’s resignation a campaign issue.

Geithner was forced to defend himself Thursday at a public hearing on Capitol Hill during which he was pointedly asked by Brady to resign.

DeFazio emphasized that there are growing concerns about Geithner among “populist” House Democrats, who have always been cautious about the Treasury secretary.

The liberal Huffington Post ran an op-ed on Tuesday with this headline: “Geithner is ‘Obama’s Rumsfeld.’ ”

The White House stands firmly behind Geithner as the administration navigates the perilous debate over government bailouts for Wall Street and an economy wreaking havoc on Main Street.

Last month the unemployment rate hit a 26-year high of 10.2 percent, sending Democrats in search of new ways to bolster the economy and create jobs. It also comes as voters hear Wall Street banks announcing record bonuses.

“Secretary Geithner has helped steer the American economy back from the brink, and is now leading the effort on financial reform,” Jen Psaki, White House spokeswoman, told The Hill. “His focus today — and ours — is on economic recovery and addressing the challenges the American people face every day. We invite anyone with good ideas, whether they agree with us or not, to be a part of the productive effort toward a solution.”

This week’s criticism was sparked by a report from Neil Barofsky, the special inspector general over the $700 billion bailout program. Barofsky concluded that officials at the Federal Reserve, including Geithner, who was head of the New York Fed, made a series of missteps in the bailout of American International Group (AIG).

Barofsky faulted Fed officials, including Geithner, for a negotiating strategy regarding the firm’s complex derivatives that “offered little opportunity for success.” The report said that the Fed paid full value to settle the derivatives contracts, which meant tens of billions of dollars went to the big American and foreign banks that were AIG’s counterparties in the deals.

Republicans seized on the report as further evidence that Geithner must step down. Republican Reps. Spencer Bachus (Ala.) and Roy Blunt (Mo.) are calling on the House Financial Services Committee to hold a hearing investigating the AIG bailout.

During a fiery exchange at Thursday’s Joint Economic Committee hearing, Brady recounted how the nation was suffering through one of the worst economies in decades and the Obama administration’s policies had failed to change that course. He then asked Geithner to resign.

“For the sake of our jobs, will you step down from your post?” Brady asked, saying that Geithner and the administration’s economic policies have “failed.”

Geithner defended himself, saying that the steps taken last year at the height of the crisis were necessary and that the economy has improved.

“I agree with almost nothing of what you said,” replied an incensed Geithner, charging that President George W. Bush’s leadership was to blame for the country’s financial woes.

“If you look at any measure of the strength and stability and health of the American economy, if you look at any measure of confidence in the financial system, it is substantially stronger today than when the president of the United States took office,” Geithner said.

Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) and six other House Democrats are seeking a comprehensive review of the Federal Reserve following Barofsky’s report.

But while Cummings has been critical of the Fed, he has not sought Geithner’s resignation.

“I’m glad you’re there,” Cummings said on Thursday. “I don’t know how many people could stand the pressure you’re dealing with.”

That was a view echoed by Sen. Bob Casey Jr. (D-Pa.): “I voted for your confirmation. And it was the right vote.”

But some Democratic senators have also expressed concern with Geithner this month. During an interview with MSNBC on Nov. 2, Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) said she was “not sure” why Geithner still held his job. Cantwell called Geithner’s financial overhaul plans “appalling.”

#36     Nov 21, 2009
  7. And actually, after viewing his response, I would say Geithner was remarkably restrained.

#37     Nov 21, 2009
  8. Agreed.

It was all "theater" for Kevin Brady, trying to set a "negative" tone right off the bat during the Q&A. It was partisan politics as usual, and had absolutely NOTHING to do with the FACTS.

Had I been Geithner, I may have jumped up out of my seat and choked Brady . . . giving him all of the LIVE theater that he'd ever want to handle, shouting at the same time, "But what about your buddy Phil Gramm, Hank Paulson, and Ken Lay . . . you f'-ing SOB!!!"

#38     Nov 21, 2009
  9. LOL What? :p

#39     Nov 21, 2009
  10. wmb

wmb

#40     Nov 21, 2009