... like a Hershey for Dummies? Yes - but not quite

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by eto, Dec 7, 2009.

1. No.

- Spydertrader

#31     Dec 10, 2009
  2. Then could you briefly explain what it means in the Hershey context?

#32     Dec 10, 2009
  3. #33     Dec 10, 2009
  4. eto

eto

gabfly1, let me try as warmup

Fractals are the equivalent of Swings in more traditional trading vernacular. Difficulty for many with the use of the term Fractal is understandable because, in actuality, market swings are only fractal (in a mathematical, technical, or just plain eyeball sense) across a limited subset of timeframes and not all timeframes. The breakdown in ‘fractalcality’ is really evident when looking at really long and very short timeframes, but there are also serious “dimensioning” breakdowns between mid tier timeframe neighbors. For many barely fractal is hardly fractal, and for them the use of the term is inappropriate. If you have difficulty with the use of the term when you encounter it throughout the literature - just think Swing…

Forgiving the (mis)appropriation of the fancy term can be accomplished because the principle of nesting doesn’t not require the participant swings of the nesting to actually be properly fractal. A swing is a swing is a swing. Swings occur within swings within swings – whether they meet (either low or high) standards for being fractal or not...

(I need to confirm whether "nesting" and the "principle of nesting" are part of the nomenclature/vernacular of the paradigm before proceeding further... :) )

#34     Dec 10, 2009
  5. No. They are not.

- Spydertrader

#35     Dec 10, 2009
  6. eto

eto

Please explain and demonstrate the difference. I only ask for a demonstration here because it is a critical distinction that throws many off... thanks.

#36     Dec 10, 2009
  7. In market parlance, 'Swings' (As in 'Swing high' or 'Swing Low') refer to Price Points on a chart. However, that which defines a market fractal exists in the Volume Pane of a chart.

TIKITRADER posted a URL (within this thread) which links to more visulally oriented explanations.

HTH.

- Spydertrader

#37     Dec 10, 2009
  8. I don't think that Mandelbrot, the father of fractal geometry, made this distinction.

#38     Dec 10, 2009
  9. eto

eto

So anyone who refers to fractals in terms of price in any of the discussions of the paradigm is full of it?

#39     Dec 10, 2009
  10. That's not for me to say, as I have nothing other than a nodding acquaintance, at best, with merely the definition of fractal geometry. A while back, I read Mandelbrot's The Misbehavior of Markets: A Fractal View of Financial Turbulence, and I don't readily recall his making a distinction regarding subsets. That was my only point earlier.

Hmm. Was your post directed at Spydertrader? Upon reflection, it appears that it was. However, my comment regarding subsets still stands.

#40     Dec 10, 2009