Lightweight LCD display device as second monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bolimomo, Feb 3, 2011.

1. shfly

shfly

2. That was interesting. Thanks for the link shfly. But with a "pricetag: $1,549", I think I would need to wait a while...

#22     Feb 23, 2011
  3. johnw1

johnw1

Hi guys,

I have the same problem in that i need to drag a second screen around with me.

But how about this for an idea.

What if I dump my PC trading machine at home and replace it with a 17" laptop plus cooling pad plus say 19-20" 2nd screen.

The 2nd screen could be my charting program and the laptop could hold my Trading Platform.

This way I can just pack it up and go rather than having to setup my current laptop package every time we travel.

My questions are:

1 Would it be robust enough to use continuously

2 How would I set it up ie would the second screen run off the laptop

3 What laptop and screen should I buy
    It is only for trading so I don't want to over spec some things or under spec others as it must be robust but it is not required to run movies etc

Would appreciate any input as my comp knowledge is limited

#23     Mar 24, 2011
  4. johnw1

johnw1

anyone with any thoughts

#24     Mar 24, 2011
  5. I do this whenever I go on a trip. Usually a couple every year. I bring 2 laptops and 2 external monitors with me. 22" or 24" monitors.

For the monitors: detach the base. Have the 2 monitors facing each other and buffered with some T-shirts or cloths. Wrap them with my towel to protect them. Place them in the center of my check-in luggage. Place cloths around the monitors to protect them. When check-in, ask the airline worker to tag the luggage as "fragile" so the porters won't (hopefully) toss the luggage around.

RE: 1 Would it be robust enough to use continuously

Should be no problem if you pack wisely.

RE: 2 How would I set it up ie would the second screen run off the laptop

Most laptops these days have a second video outlet built-in. Most likely VGA (15-pin connector). Just use it.

RE: 3 What laptop and screen should I buy

Depends on your need and budget. A 17-inch laptop would be nice. My primary one is 18.4-inch (resolution 1920x1080) and second one is 17-inch (resolution 1680x1050). Make sure the processor is fast enough for your trading need.

As for the monitor: pick a light-weight one. Samsung LCD monitors are pretty good. 20-inch to 22-inch with a resolution of 1920x1080 preferrably.

#25     Mar 24, 2011
  6. easymon1

easymon1

What brand/model CPU runs your slowest traveling laptop?
    Amt ram?
    What OS?
    Any problems?

#26     Mar 24, 2011
  7. I assume this question was for me.

Laptop 2 (slower): Compaq Presario A900 Notebook PC, 3GB RAM, Windows Vista Home. Runs okay. Bought in 2008.

Laptop 1 (faster): HP dv8t 1100 laptop, Intel i7 720QM, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium. Runs the best. Bought in May 2010.

#27     Mar 25, 2011
  8. johnw1

johnw1

Many thanks for that.

I want to power the 2nd screen from the laptop so I have a little time to close positions if there is a power outage.

Any thoughts on this?

#28     Mar 25, 2011
  9. I am lost on what you meant there, "so I have a little time to close positions if there is a power outage..."

#29     Mar 25, 2011
  10. easymon1

easymon1

#30     Apr 25, 2011