Liffe - The True Power Of The Algos

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by THE-BEAKER, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Johno

Johno

Here are some suggestions that will keep you on theme when you do your next name change -

SHORT CIRCUIT
    DEAD SHORT
    BLOWN FUSE
    ARC

"To deal with a troll a day
    simply hit the ignore button
    and
    they will end up far away!"

SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE DON'T WASTE THEIR TIME TROLLING, THEY'RE TO BUSY FINDING SOLUTIONS!

Johno

#31     Jun 13, 2009
  2. Go and have another Fosters mate,you might start to make sense.

On the back of that last post you're about as credible as a chocolate teapot.

Read Guy Fawkes post again,you might learn something

Here are some suggestions for the job you'll need real soon,if indeed you aren't one already as you clearly know dick all about this line of work

1,Pool Guy

2,Lawn Guy

3,Pizza delivery Guy

4,Mini cab driver

Bascially anything where you don't need a brain,hey there's your solution!

Hope this helps

Regards

#32     Jun 13, 2009
  3. With all due respect, Guy, you're confusing logic with naivete...

All I am trying to do here is extract an answer to a VERY simple question from you and others who hold similar views. I am not passing judgement on legality or long-term viability of algo trading that you dislike.

So, seeing as how you seem to be an intelligent feller, let me ask you the very same, trivial question:
    1. Assume algo trading, as practiced by RSJ, is legal and compliant with current LIFFE rules.
    2. Assume algo trading makes money.
    3. Assume you're given all RSJ's resources and capabilities.

Given all of the above, would you make money the way they do? If not, pls give reason(s), although a plain 'yes' or 'no'answer will also do.

#33     Jun 13, 2009
  4. The only confusion Martinghoul is the angle from which you are coming.
    I think that you are taking this thread off topic with your question, and even though it is probably a mistake, I will indulge you with an answer to your question.
    Would I work for RSJ or make money the way they do?
    I am lucky in that I have never been faced with a choice of breaking the law or my children going hungry. If I was faced with this then, probably like the vast majority of fathers, there is a good chance that I would be prepared to break the law in order to put food on the table.

& while you may not like my answer, I think that your first assumption
    "1. Assume algo trading, as practiced by RSJ, is legal and compliant with current LIFFE rules."
    is quite ridiculous. If you are not aware of the law breaking that goes on every day in this industry then you cannot have been around for long.

I don't understand what angle you are coming from. Do you trade futures? Have you ever traded thousands or tens of thousand rts a day? Have you been a percentage of the market and taken 6 or seven figures out of it yourself? I don't pretend to know everything about the markets and I don't get everything right but I do not understand you and I do need a reason to take you seriously.

#34     Jun 13, 2009
  5. Well, my goal in asking the question was to simply understand what motivates people to object so strenously to the presence of RSJ and the like. Specifically, I wanted to see if it's just the case of 'sour grapes' (they can do it better than me, so I will contrive to trumpet everywhere that what they do is illegal). Or if it's the case of a bunch of 'conscientious objectors' who sincerely think it's bad for the mkt in the longer term... I don't think this question is taking the thread in the wrong direction (if the thread did have one in the first place, that is), as I think it's important to understand what's behind the complaints. But that's fine, I have despaired of ever hearing an actual straightforward answer, so forget about it...

As to your other point, I am not referring to what happens in the industry generally. In the specific case of RSJ vs the locals, I am not aware of RSJ breaking any rules. If you have specific instances of them doing something unlawful, rather than vague speculation, pls do let the community and LIFFE know. Until that happens, under presumption of innocence, I will consider what they do legal/compliant until proven otherwise. If, on the other hand, you just don't like the mkt they're active in, then vote with your feet and don't trade it. That's what I would do...

In general, having thought about it, at the moment I see RSJ as the McDonalds of the trading world, with the locals stuck in the role of small local sandwich shops being squeezed. The analogy makes a lot of sense to me.

Now in answer to your other questions. I have been around for a while and I am active (although a lot less active now than in 07/08), but because I am not a local, I suppose I don't feel the consuming anger and frustration evident here. My angle is simple. Think of me as an independent swing voter, who's trying to decide which side to join.

#35     Jun 14, 2009
  6. Johno

Johno

Hi Martinghoul,
    I suspect that you will never get your answers because you are probably dealing with a multihandled troll! Your reply articulates my view and in all probability that of most rational business people. Anyone who has progressed past Finance 101 should know that in a Capitalist system it is a matter of sink or swim, adapt or die. The fact that someone purporting to be a participant in the markets, yet doesn't understand this, speaks volumes about them and or their sincerity!

Best Regards

Johno

#36     Jun 14, 2009
  7. strange goings on at rsj.

after an elite trader public awareness stint they alter the information on their own website statistics.

not sure what thats all about.

maybe they dont like the publicity regarding their monopoly of the exchange so they lowered all the percentage round turns.

http://www.rsj.cz/actual-volume-401152939.html

#37     Jun 16, 2009
  8. Well that is not suspect. Not at all...

#38     Jun 16, 2009
  9. cashcow

cashcow

From a VERY reliable source:

The volumes posted on their site were not correct. The exchange however are concerned with the percentage of the volume that the company accounts for.

#39     Jun 23, 2009
  10. interesting.

where did you hear about their concerns?

#40     Jun 24, 2009