Lifestyle trader choice - tough decision

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by cmdtytrdr, Jun 15, 2009.

1. ScapGF

ScapGF

What about simply opening your own fund? If you have a solid track record you should pitch it to everyone under the sun, try to collect as much AUM as your trading style can handle, and then continue trading just like you would with your own funds.

Besides, make sure you aren't joining a bank that took TARP money. Last year a guy at Goldman had a $357M P/L trading the firm's cash. His bonus? Only $1M.

What would have normally been up to a 10% bonus turned out to be a 0.28% bonus. Ouch...

Buy-side baby, buy-side.

#31     Jun 18, 2009
  2. Society is overrated. :cool:

#32     Jun 18, 2009
  3. drcha

drcha

Commodity Trader,

I did this, except in the reverse order from you. Now, keep in mind this is only one person's opinion.

I worked 90-100 hr. weeks for 20 years, made a bunch of money, and quit. Then I took a much easier, more pleasant, more socially redeeming but less lucrative job with normal 9-5 hours, leaving me plenty of time to trade in the morning (I live on the west coast).

My only regret is not having quit sooner. My life is so much more pleasant, my health is better, my head is in a better place, I have more hobbies, more friends and more fun. And as I become better at trading, I'm often making close to my old salary, and I expect to exceed it regularly within a year or two.

When you work for someone else, you owe them the very best job you can do--and nothing more. While you work there, doing the best job you can do includes a certain kind of loyalty, which means placing their company above its competitors, serving its current or prospective customers or clients to the best of your ability, and doing everything you can do to make your employer profitable and respected. But loyalty does not mean that you will stay for any particular period of time if it is no longer what you want. Everyone has a right to better themselves. Leave when you need to, wish them the best, and if they have any class, they will also wish you the best.

Good luck and I hope you get everything you want.

#33     Jun 18, 2009
  4. Peter P

Peter P

Thanks for sharing the information guys. There are many career avenues that individuals follow in an attempt to earn money and achieve the goals they have set for the course of their life. I think lifestyle trading is the best option.

#34     Jan 9, 2010
  5. Dustin

Dustin

I relate, but I'm closer to 33 than 34.

#35     Jan 9, 2010
  6. I wont even entertain the idea of back to the grind - jobs make money but freedom is priceless! :D

#36     Jan 13, 2010
  7. I haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if I missed something. My take on this is contrary to most. The way I look at it, you can always go back to the trader lifestyle. You may not always have the option of taking a highly lucrative corporate type position however.

The other thing to consider is that your current success is not guaranteed to last forever. Plenty of highly successful traders hit rough spots. The opportunity to possibly put yourself in a position where you are set for life is not one to turn down lightly. Losing some freedom may seem huge to you at your current age, but you don't want to look back 15 or 20 years from now and wonder what you might have been able to accomplish.

Another thing to consider is trying to negotiate some more freedom into this job offer. If they are so keen to get you, they may be willing to make some accommodations.

Either way, it is a nice problem to have.

#37     Jan 13, 2010
  8. I realise this is an old thread but the post is inconsistent. Trader makes in the region of 7 figures a year but that's pocket change compared to what he can get in this new job. Great - Trader is a very talented and capable professional. Trader has it worked out.

Trader is a success. Trader has it worked out. Trader knows how to make decisions.

Oh, but Trader must consult internet population for advice on reversible career opportunity.

Go, on, pull the other one.

Hilarious.

#38     Jan 13, 2010
  9. Peter P

Peter P

<a href="info.lifestyletrader@gmail.com">Lifestyle trading</a> is a software does accurate predictions and has statistics that helps all kinds of traders understand the trends of the market so that they can come up with a better and sounder decision. It's been called lifestyle trading because this software does everything for you. You can more or less enjoy your life while making money from your comfort zone with this software.

#39     Feb 8, 2010
  10. l2tradr

l2tradr

You're crazy for selling it! Sshhh, keep the secret to yourself ;)

#40     Feb 8, 2010