Lifestyle trader choice - tough decision

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by cmdtytrdr, Jun 15, 2009.

1. sp34

sp34

I would say try it out for 2 years. I mean give it your all and if it is not for you then you can at least say you tried. There is nothing wrong with a new challenge.

#21     Jun 17, 2009
  2. pspr

pspr

You say you're quite successful as a trader. If that is so, then you should be able to make more money than ANY corporate position could provide without the risk of getting fired or hating your job and losing your trading edge.

I'm assuming this is a start-up with a new product that may or may not take off. Sometimes that works out but usually it doesn't. I think your decision should be based on how likely will this business venture/job work out the way you expect vs. how well your trading is going and your honest opinion of where you can take it.

#22     Jun 17, 2009
  3. hayman

hayman

I've been on my own for 7 years now (3 as a full-time trader - currently dormant in trading), and I could never go back....wild horses couldn't drag me back !

Once you have the freedom, it's no longer about the money.....time and flexibility is everything.

I've had opportunities to go back to it, and have always talked myself out of it.

Of course, if you need the money by going back, that is an entirely different situation. If not, keep doing what you are doing, and enjoy life the way it was meant to be enjoyed. Save your suits for weddings.

#23     Jun 17, 2009
  4. Cutten

Cutten

Think like a trader - always cover the downside first, and have an exit plan in case it goes wrong.

#24     Jun 17, 2009
  5. I didn't read all the above posts, so I may have missed this, but how old are you?

It's silly not to make hay while the sun shines, especially while you are under 40.

Plenty of time to take it easy and be your own boss later if you are young....making money now takes pressure off later.

But, some people don't like to work hard or long hours.

#25     Jun 17, 2009
  6. I had a similar opportunity. A buddy closed his biz & went to work for a national firm b/c he had three kids in college.

I only have two in college (1 now + another in September) :D ... I was afraid I'm unemployable after 20+ years as the boss, so if I closed my biz, I'd lose my clients & my MOMO. I went out and did the lunch buying tour & work has picked back up a bit vs biting the bullet & taking a company gig... when work dies, I work less & trade more - if I make less, so be it... I like being the boss, even if I am the only employee left.

#26     Jun 17, 2009
  7. Yeah, that's actually a big problem:D ... but, I could probably last more than a week, counting the weekend of course.

#27     Jun 17, 2009
  8. Great thread, sounds like the OP has life pretty much where he wants it... read below before making your final decision.

The American businessman was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large Yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them. The Mexican replied only a little while. The American then asked why didn't he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs. The American then asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?" The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life, señor."

The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds buy a bigger boat, with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise." The Mexican fisherman asked, "But señor, how long will this all take?" To which the American replied, "15-20 years." "But what then, señor?" The American laughed and said, "That's the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions, señor? Then what?" The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

#28     Jun 18, 2009
  9. Neoxx

Neoxx

Nice story.

Reminds me of the monologue from the Benjamin Button travel montage...

"...What I think is, it's never
    too late...or, in my case, too
    early, to be whoever you want to
    be...There's no time limit, start
    anytime you want...change or stay
    the same...there aren't any
    rules...We can make the best or
    worst of it...I hope you make the
    best...I hope you see things that
    startle you. Feel things you
    never felt before. I hope you
    meet people who have a different
    point of view. I hope you
    challenge yourself. I hope you
    stumble, and pick yourself up. I
    hope you live the life you wanted
    to...and if you haven't, I hope
    you start all over again."

#29     Jun 18, 2009
  10. RobtF

RobtF

Take the job. Be a productive member of society.

#30     Jun 18, 2009