Lifestyle trader choice - tough decision

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by cmdtytrdr, Jun 15, 2009.

1. I work in the corporate world.

You will enjoy the new friendships you make but you will also meet and have to possibly work with people you do not like.

Are you good with dealing with all sorts of people? If you are ,you will thrive in the corporate world if you are not you will fail or be mediocre at best.

Be ready to do things you dont like to do. The boss will give direction and you will need to obey though you may disagree.

I assume you are good and enjoy speaking in front of large groups of people on a regular basis.

Once you get into the grind of things you will find after a year or two that even when on vacation you will need to take calls and answer emails. I have not taken more than 4 straight days off in 3 years- my choosing because I hate the catchup that follows from taking time off.

Dealing and working with people is the biggest challenge and reward.

#11     Jun 16, 2009
  2. You can't put a price on your freedom. Don't do it. I can tell you are looking for a reason to turn this down.

#12     Jun 16, 2009
  3. clacy

clacy

Take the job. Give it a shot and if it works out great. If it's not for you, you have every right to quit 6 months from now, just as they could let you go at any time. Then you can go back to doing what you do now.

Don't think for a second in a corporate type environment that you owe them anything other than your full attention while working. Taking a job is not a minimum two year contract, uless it is, in which case you need some sort of buy out worked in should they decide to fire you. Just know that 99% of these people do not have your best interests at hear, they have theirs. With that said, you need to play by the same rules.

#13     Jun 16, 2009
  4. great advice, guys. i want to thank you all for it. i'm leaning towards going for it for a bunch of the reasons you mentioned.

i guess it really all come to down to what i value most. i also think we only have one life to live so we should go for it in life. that leaves me thinking that we should always be happy and not give in to the almighty buck to sacrifice our personal happiness, but at the same time these opportunities may not come around all that often in life, and we should give them a shot if we get them, cause we might regret not taking them later.

if my personal happiness suffers dramatically, i like your ideas that i shouldn't feel too guilty about quitting the position early and going back to what i'm doing now. i think the company would understand, but i probably shouldn't care much about that anyway. i don't think its a formal "two year" contract or anything, but theres obviously an expectation of me staying awhile. whatever - theyre very successful and will move on quite easily without me.

obviously, the amazing thing would be if i actually enjoy some aspects of working for a larger company again. that would solve all my problems. so, i think im gonna do it.

thanks again, guys. guess i gotta buy some new slacks :eek:

#14     Jun 16, 2009
  5. I would draw a line in the sand NOW as to when you will quit if you do not enjoy it. It will not get better.

I suggest 3 / 6 months in.

#15     Jun 17, 2009
  6. get the job but negociate as much freedom as you can

#16     Jun 17, 2009
  7. If you are planning to do it for the money, then DO NOT do it. If you are successful like you said in your trading, believe me that you do it for the passion of trading...the money follows you....that is why you are successful.

#17     Jun 17, 2009
  8. Best advice so far :cool:

#18     Jun 17, 2009
  9. I can only speak for myself. My people person skills were marginal at best when I was part of the so called working world.

After ten years of trading out of my home, I am fairly certain that I could not rustle up enough people person skills to even last a week.

But I am closer to sixty than fifty and that is certainly a big factor.

#19     Jun 17, 2009
  10. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Money doesn't buy happiness.

If you're making decent $$$ now why go to a corporate grind with politics and give up the freedom you have. IMO you can't put a price tag on the freedom trading allows. I've been gone 13 years from the corporate world and would never go back and in that time I had a couple lean years trading but the good years make it so worthwhile.

#20     Jun 17, 2009