Life is good for NYC landlords

Discussion in 'Economics' started by turkeyneck, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Some parts of New York State are amazingly beautiful. Orange County is very nice.

Most people who never have seen Michigan think 'Detroit.'

They don't realize Michigan truly has some of the most amazing scenery in the states - take a drive through Traverse City, with rolling ground, and lush trees, and sand dunes bigger than you can imagine right up on the edge of Lake Michigan. Or check out Harbor Springs, Charlevoix, or Tahquamenon Falls (in the UP).

The area I live in is lush green with rolling ground and clean air and water. Most homes are 3000 square feet and up, and there's no trash, panhandlers or alleys filled with junkies. The police are highly active, yet extremely professional - they know they work for us.

The only areas of the country I've seen that can rival Michigan's nicer areas are Seattle, Colorado, Utah, the coast of California (especially Big Sur and Malibu), the Jekyll Island/Sea Island area of Georgia, and the coastline of Lake Michigan in the Chicago burbs (more because of the homes and neighborhoods - not the terrain).

Florida's way too humid, Arizona's way too hot, and areas such as NYC, Boston and Phili are way too congested and expensive.

#61     Apr 22, 2008
  2. Portland? Minneapolis? Cinci? Baltimore? Asheville?

#62     Apr 22, 2008
  3. Scratch Cincinnasti off any list you might have. This area sucks.

#63     Apr 22, 2008
  4. R1234

R1234

If you work in NYC and don't want to live in the city try Westchester.

I live in White Plains which is 30 minutes by Metro North into grand central.

Lots of trees/hills/lakes up here.

#64     Apr 22, 2008
  5. It doesnt matter where you live, but your ability to thrive and be happy in that geography.

Some guys know how to take full advantage of NYC while others thrive more in other parts of America.

#65     Apr 23, 2008
  6. i can't believe anyone would wanna live in the south. if you wanna be surrounded by fat people galore munching on fried chicken 24/7, move there.

calif is still the best place if you can afford it. those who don't like calif simply can't afford it. it has the best weather and slim, hot chicks everywhere. last week we had 82f weather and the chicks were out in their summer clothes. goddamn! any red-blooded male sitting down would be feeling uncomfortable after 20 seconds.

if you have money, it beats every other state.

#66     Apr 23, 2008
  7. Rome and Paris are much better cities than NYC.

#67     Apr 23, 2008
  8. That's the dumbest thing I've ever read. Thank you , it gave me a chuckle.

#68     Apr 23, 2008
  9. I've never been to Rome, but I've been to Paris 6 or 7 times. I love Paris to visit, I can't say whether I'd like to live there. I don't have much of an aptitude for languages so that would a problem, and French taxes make NY's look low. Plus, I like it here, I don't feel the need to move. I'm not sure why so many people here feel the need to shit on NY all the time, but I think it's a sign of mental laziness to make blanket statements like "this place is the best, it rocks over NY" when the better thing would be "I prefer Rome and Paris over NY" or "I like living in the country, not the city."

To each their own.

#69     Apr 23, 2008
  10. I've been to Michigan several times, my cousins live there. I didn't love it or hate it. It was nice enough, and I think it's great you like it , but I didn't see anything particularly compelling, although I don't claim to have seen the whole state.

#70     Apr 23, 2008