life after making mrkts on the floor

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by mktmkr, Nov 14, 2006.

1. mktmkr

mktmkr

"If it came like I was knocking anyone I most certainly am not. We all have to make a living and to each his own. "

on the contrary...i think i came of as if i'm knocking on guys and my apologies for that...not my intent

i was, at one time, siting across the table from a trader at a large bank, their options prop desk and the conversation went something like this
    "so how much vega did you carry, oh really, thats not a big position, how many positions did you trade...oh really, i trade about 500....i dont think you can handle what we do"

you can see how that would get under someone's skin

#41     Nov 20, 2006
  2. artis74

artis74

Keep in mind that the majority of the guys coming from banks/funds couldnt day trade or small position trade on a screen if thier families lives depended on it.

These are the guys who lack the intelligence to realize they are at the center of the info curve and that information gives them massive edge. Not to mention vega, theta and delta limits that arent practical for one person to carry.

It takes 500x more guts to do it with your own cash and carry 1/10th the size than it does to push around someone eleses cash for a 6 figure salaray and a 10% profit payout. I have done both it amazes me when I hear fund/bank guys say these things.

#42     Nov 20, 2006