life after making mrkts on the floor

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by mktmkr, Nov 14, 2006.

1. mktmkr

mktmkr

just wondering how many guys are ex-floor market makers and what they're doing now, seems to be a huge bias against floor traders on a lot of the e-trading desks, and maybe for a good reason if you consider some of the old timers in the equity and futures pits, but if the guys made a good living trading options on the floor without blowing out for any extended time, they should be able to make the transition, there really is not a huge difference anymore, everyone on the floor trades positions anyway, there is no real edge....just venting...any comments are welcome

2. Are you an ex-floor trader having a problem adjusting to e-trading?

3. Just use Melatonin at night. When you wake up, everything will be different...

4. mktmkr

mktmkr

not so much to e-trading but to the demise of the floor...it's a lerning process...hope this site will help...stumbled on to it today

5. What market(s) do you trade and what floor are you from?

6. mktmkr

mktmkr

phlx...a lot of things over the years...all equity and index options of course

7. Do you have a specific questions or are you just looking for a place to vent?

8. mktmkr

mktmkr

just figuring out who's here...while venting...curious about others background...i do have some questions...posted them in the options thread

9. I trade for a small macro fund in southern CT.

10. I traded ag futures on the floor, now transitioning into equities from the screen.

Still pretty new at equities - learning all the new terminology and navigating the computer functions and order placment methods is proving to be a bit of a steep learning curve right now.

I keep trying to relate equities order flow to that seen in the ag pit, but again, I'm very new to this. I do think the transition will work, though.

#10     Nov 15, 2006