Life after death is clearly real. Why do people still ridicule it?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Risepoint1879, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Sig

Sig

Basic concepts like Kant's categorical imperative go a long way toward a moral framework that makes sense and doesn't require infinite cultural relativism which you mention. A reasoned moral framework always made far more sense to me than operating under some arbitrary set of rules some semiliterate goat herders came up with a few thousand years ago, but hey, that's just me.

#81     Aug 2, 2019
    stu and tomorton like this.
  2. jason84

jason84

You are 100% correct.

I've done alot of reading, and it's clear to me also that there is a life after death.

In answer to your question, people ridicule because sometimes it's gratifying to be proud and do whatever you want and mock. It takes objectivity, humility and honesty to face the truth even though it's not convenient professionally or morally.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    #82     Oct 4, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. %%
    Dr Reginald B Cherry said [his] ''medical school was a godless place''
    But I've noticed Christian + Jewish doctors tend to be better read/better researched
    Many medical doctors think they can predict/LOL...…………………………………………….

#83     Oct 4, 2020

4. “Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.

In the first stage it is ridiculed,
    In the second stage it is opposed,
    In the third stage it is regarded as self-evident.”

—Schopenhauer

#84     Oct 4, 2020
    jason84 and murray t turtle like this.
  5. never2old

never2old

it is not & my reason for saying that is because I have not personally experienced it, nor can I believe what others say happened to them to be true

I am an agnostic 'fence sitter'

I believe that I serve no purpose being here in a human form for the short moment in time or why I came to be in the first place.

#85     Oct 9, 2020
  6. userque

userque

Why are you sitting on the fence. Why not be full fledged agnostic?

#86     Oct 9, 2020
  7. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

I have volunteered in hospices for over 25 years. I can't count how many I have known shortly before they died and though near death stuff I have seen plenty, no post death.

It would be nice to think but anyone who has taken say ketamine and experienced the 'k hole', one of the many common experiences with recreational drugs knows the same thing would be happening with the dying brain.

One day maybe, all I can say is there are deaths I have admired greatly and not because of lack of fear, only psychopaths and *narcissists don't get afraid but how they live each hour until they go. Others facing asking for forgiveness if they need to and other unfinished business.

One day maybe as I said just I doubt it at this stage.

*narcissists get afraid but really as they have a very poor sense of immediate danger, its fear of superficial things like will people think they are ugly if they poop themselves after death and such.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    #87     Oct 9, 2020
  8. %%
    I agree with about 80or 88% of that. I would not blame God for creating the law of gravity. OR blame God for the law-- you[thou] shall not follow a mob[crowd] to do evil''[ Exodus 23].
    And while I have gotten into trouble with that one-- common sense is more of a factor in me not goofing that one all the time .
    Its not just fear of punishment of God/ I can also figure out stupid or wise patterns from the news.
    And thanks to my banker dad + mom we were never stupid enough to think the policeman/policewoman was the enemy.
    Christianity is more of a relationship than rules.[I do like a crowd of volume on my charts/but not limited to that /LOL]:D:D:caution::caution::caution::caution::caution::caution::caution:

#88     Oct 11, 2020
    studentofthemarkets likes this.