Life after death is clearly real. Why do people still ridicule it?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Risepoint1879, Feb 3, 2019.

1. stu

stu

It seems your whole argument depends on comparing the distinct universe which does exist with something that can only be imagined to exist, as if there were direct comparisons to draw . That is false equivalency.
    Surely you would accept that you, me, or anyone else on this forum can state and declare unequivocally that as a fact, the universe exists. Otherwise it could be said you don't, then your argument doesn't exist either. Great if one could do that with bad trades.
    Fact also is that even a spec of dust on my monitor screen unequivocally demonstrates its existence, whereas God or god-like beings only maintain the characteristics and properties of something imaginary, like any other mythical concept. The fact that a God(s) patently does not exist in that same way the spec of dust can in reality nor indeed how the universe does exist, but as God and Dragons don't, requires imagination for their existence as concepts.
    Or perhaps God and Dragons have some other kind of existence, but again, that can only be imagined.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    #41     Mar 13, 2019
  2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

All I'm saying is that the difference between you and I is that I will say "I have no idea" to something because I am aware that I do not possess all of the variables in the equation. You seem to think you can tell what does and does not exist based on what you see here and now. In front of you. That's fine, if it works for you then follow it.

The universe is just so damned big and complex.

#42     Mar 14, 2019
    CSEtrader likes this.
  3. stu

stu

That is really not a difference between us as actually "I have no idea" how you could even suggest as you do here, that you can't tell whether the universe exists based on what you see here and now. In front of you. Then you follow with a statement that affirms what the universe is (big and and complex) based on what you see here and now. In front of you.

So if you can't agree that we can say the universe does exist, and there are some other things that do not exist in the same way as the universe does, like Goblins, God, and Ghouls, and therefore can only be imagined, then that's fine too but "I have no idea" can't be any kind of rational argument in this regard, but looks more like dodging. Or should that be Godging.

#43     Mar 14, 2019
  4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I interact with what I see. Whether what is beyond what I see exists is beyond me.

#44     Mar 14, 2019
    CSEtrader likes this.
  5. Sig

Sig

Don't ever think about becoming an electrical engineer then, not only do we have to work with things we can't see but numbers that can't exist like the square root of -1!

#45     Mar 14, 2019
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Engineering would not be good for me for a number of reasons.

#46     Mar 14, 2019
  7. Sig

Sig

Hey, playing to your strengths is always wise...self awareness is a powerful thing we could probably almost all do with more of!

#47     Mar 14, 2019
    Tsing Tao likes this.
  8. stu

stu

Me too but that's a completely different point. The question I raised to your earlier apples and oranges comparison was a simple one. However I accept your cop out.

#48     Mar 14, 2019
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Call it whatever helps you feel better about yourself. But you're the arrogant prick who thinks he knows everything about the universe, not me.

Oh, and the one telling others what they should think and why they are wrong - forgot about that one.

#49     Mar 15, 2019
  10. stu

stu

Resorting to insult only confirms your own intolerance and prejudices. But if that makes you feel better then good luck to you too, you'll need it.
    Have to say though, if nothing else it's ironic to be called an arrogant prick by someone being a prick arrogant enough to say they know what I think and oh the other one also, what I should think.

Because everything about the universe is not known doesn't mean nothing about it is. It simply doesn't follow that because everything isn't known, there isn't enough that is to give any kind of insight into things that aren't.

To be content with a default "don't know" to the point where it seems to produce an inability for you to even acknowledge the difference between things like the universe or even a spec of dust, which manifestly do exist in reality, and things like Gods and Goblins, which manifestly do not exist as the universe does or to even a level of existence a spec of dust can achieve - is a cop out. That's all I said.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    #50     Mar 15, 2019