Life after 50

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pekelo, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Start eating a healthful diet. Nothing exotic or extreme. Gradual is best. Work out: get a good and simple routine that you are willing to commit to and stick with. Forget complicated. Think comprehensive. Forget single joint exercises. Focus on compound exercises. You'll get more bang for the buck, and they'll improve your metabolism far better than any dippy single joint exercise.

Don't wait until you get motivated. Start, and it will motivate you to continue.

#81     Jun 14, 2019
    GRULSTMRNN likes this.
  2. Thanks, diet wise I think I am well served but thanks for the encouragement how to better exercise. Wished there were couple other guys in the area to exercise together with.

#82     Jun 14, 2019
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Whatever happened to just living a life of moderation? In the US Mormons have the highest life expectancy and they just don't drink or smoke. Not to get that drastic, drinking in moderation and generally just being physically and socially active should do the trick...

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/the-art-of-the-push-up/

Jack LaLanne mentioning how he hates exercising. :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    #83     Jun 14, 2019
  4. luisHK

luisHK

Grip strength might resist years longer than the rest, below is Marc Felix beating the World Record Hercules hold at the latest Europe strongest Man, he's 52 and still competing with top strongmen ( he was quite a bit behind in Log Press and Deadlift if I remember correctly). He is now competing in the World Strongest Man competition in Florida.
    Btw Odd Haugen , who I linked a couple of pages back, competed several times in WSM, all after his 50th birthday.

#84     Jun 14, 2019
  5. Fair enough, but if you're like the guy in the before picture you may wish to double check your macro nutrient intake to ensure it comports with your objectives.

#85     Jun 14, 2019
  6. It's that most days I sit almost all day, my avg daily steps are around 4-5k (pathetic I know) and zero sports or gym. That's not sustainable I know and I started going to gym but somewhat it almost feels as if I have done some irreparable damage to my body already.

#86     Jun 14, 2019
  7. If you feel you've done some damage to your body, then get yourself checked out. And make sure your doctor clears you for (intense) exercise, both resistance and cardio.

Walking is good, but alone is not enough, especially at your age.

Visit sites like cbass.com and baye.com (and do searches for topics of interest). Admittedly, these are HIT sites, but they're a good place to start, even for people who believe in volume training. The idea is not to bite off more than you can chew, especially at the outset, which would discourage you. Read Body By Science, by Doug McGuff. I think he understates the amount of exercise needed, but it has excellent information on which to build a suitable routine. Visit exrx.net for brief videos and explanations on proper exercise form.

As I wrote earlier, don't do too many exercises; focus on a relative few key compounds. Until you work up to HIIT cardio (if that's something that even appeals to you), walking briskly will suffice as cardio for a time. Use the stairs. Go up them quickly or two at a time. Look for ways to move during the day. Get up out of your chair and walk around the house or office (and up and down stairs). Etc., etc.

#87     Jun 14, 2019
    GRULSTMRNN likes this.
  8. Thanks I really appreciate that. I will check out those references. And if I may add I really like that we all can sometimes vehemently disagree with each other and debate and get things heated up but I am quickly learning that we all gotta have a lot more respect for health and need to strive for a balanced wellbeing. I think until recently I have abused my body by not exercising for many years because I was extremely healthy (never was in hospital ever in my life, a few outpatient checkups and treatments but nothing major at all) and my body did not ring the alarm bells. This has changed and waking up in the morning and feeling my legs being half numb and the soles tingling when taking the first steps out of bed and the body telling me it just does not want to hit the gym even my head is convinced to go, that all really sucks and frustrates me. I am not fucking 75 but 44. I have seen doctors and they don't seem to see anything unusual, also just had my annual comprehensive checkup (no hormone tests though as was earlier suggested) came out all clear except for the bone density test.

#88     Jun 14, 2019
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
  9. The numb and tingling legs and soles are curious. Did you possibly tweak your (lower) back, or is your mattress possibly ready for replacement? Your doctor had no comment on these symptoms? It's well above my pay grade, but I'd want to get to the bottom of it if I could.

As for not wanting to hit the gym, remember what I wrote earlier. The motivation will come after you start. Trust me on this. If you have a simple and cohesive routine that encompasses pulling and pushing movements for upper body in the horizontal and vertical plane, and pushing for the legs, you will be off to a good start. Keep it simple, keep it brief and give it all you got if your doctor gives you the go-ahead. (But ease into it, and make sure you get the movements right.) You'll like the challenge, and true challenge is never boring. Also, relatively brief workouts won't be off-putting, so you won't dread the next one. You'll look forward to it. This I know.

#89     Jun 14, 2019
    GRULSTMRNN likes this.
  10. Good and wise advice. I don't lack discipline what kept me was a lack of conviction. Posts like yours give me ideas what to look at and what to focus on.

#90     Jun 14, 2019
    Frederick Foresight likes this.