Lieberman: Restrain Large Speculators

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Trader5287, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Careful what you wish for... you just may get it!

#41     Jun 12, 2008
  2. I wonder why the government always blames speculators when the stock market goes down, or when the commodities market goes up... ?

But they never seem to think that speculators are behind a stock market going up or a commodities market going down... ?

So my guess is, perhaps it isn't speculators who are keeping the price of oil in the clouds, but someone in the white house trying to take over the middle east like he's playing Risk.

#42     Jun 13, 2008
  3. You read my mind with that post!!

#43     Jun 13, 2008
  4. i want money to flow out of commodities and into equities

#44     Jun 13, 2008

5. Did you vote for W?

If so, too bad that the imbecile you voted for, who has had 8 years to accomplish something positive, has only managed to help to destroy a good chunk of the middle class in the U.S., huh?

And we don't even get lower oil prices, to boot.

Bush didn't manage to accomplish that feat all by his lonesome. No. He had a lot of help in the form of manipulation and just plain incompetency from members of his trusted inner circle.

That's what happen when you live in an idiocracy; majority rules, and you're obviously in the majority, because I never did and never would vote for someone with Bush's (lack thereof) resume.

There are other contributing factors to the precarious state of the union, but Bush sure has helped things along.

Unlike you, I can find fault in all candidates and all parties. Unions have to be more flexible, Americans have to be more willing to sacrifice for a common good (as long as it's rational and well thought out policy that will better their children), environmentalists have realize a balance is in order, liberals have to realize that 5% of the U.S. can't shoulder 90% of the tax burden, conservatives have to quit their seemingly endless pursuit of enriching the military-industrial complex at the expense of the rest of the nation (including the 95% of the balance of the business community, large and small) - which Eisenhower warned of all America against in his farewell address, parents have to assume responsibility for disciplining their children and making sure that they actually study, the education lobby has to quit pushing the notion that fancy building and more money lobbed at education won't improve the performance of American youth, and all Americans need to quit living beyond their means (including our beloved local units of government, which have increased spending at a vastly greater rate than even the very portly federal government).

The Iraq War is going to cost the United States 3 trillion in economic terms, not to mention the human costs, was waged for illegitimate purposes, without widespread world support, on a nation that (despite having a paper tiger douche bag despot leader) posed no real threat to us, nor was responsible for the attacks of 9/11, and here you are, loud and proud, shouting off like you actually have a clue.

It's pretty amazing how big a coping mechanism delusion is, huh?

While China spends its money wisely, educating its people, absorbing our (and others') technology, building out its infrastructure, and focusing on the future, we have spent eight long years pissing away trillions on military misadventures, while our infrastructure crumbles, we have idiotic policies like the corn-ethanol program with its subsidies shoved down our collective throats, less than 60% of U.S. students graduate from high school, and we have an idiotic media that is more interested in educating us about the latest forays of Britney Spears than generating real discussion about military, economic, energy and educational policies.

But what do you expect when you have a frat boy par excellence, who'd rather be seen as the guy you'd want to slam a cold one with, than someone who can actually help craft constructive policies that will lead to America remaining competitive with its rivals and that will lead the world.

Most of all, we need independent, intelligent thinkers, completely insulated from particular interest groups, leading the country.

Until you realize these things, you're a big part of the problem regarding what's wrong with America.

#45     Jun 13, 2008
  6. gaj

gaj

since someone posted about bush's 89% approval...

at that time, i wasn't a fan of his, but i thought in response to 9/11 (as in, the couple weeks after), i thought he was doing adequate, what he should be doing. so neither in the 89, nor the 11.

when he invaded afghanistan, i thought he was doing the RIGHT thing.

when he invaded iraq, i was on the small percentage (25? 30?) who thought it was a horrific mistake, and when people were getting killed, and bush's cabinet was doing all these screwy things with good people (o'neill and a bunch of others) i hoped bush would lose - to anyone, another republican in a non-existent primary, a democrat, no matter. the dem put up was a dope.

oh, wait, there was one democrat who likely would have been far worse than bush AND tried running for president.

and his name is lieberman.

#46     Jun 13, 2008

7. Thank you counselor, but we heard all this at trial.

Mr. Spec has already been convicted.

We're here today to decide his sentence.

#47     Jun 13, 2008
  8. I'll shut you idiots right up.

The jerks that are saying there nothing to the accusations of rampant speculation, are the same ones that were all for unrestrained lending in the housing market.

That was a winner.

#48     Jun 13, 2008
  9. =========================
    Thought the hearings on big oil [Shell,XOM.....]went real well for the oil companies;
    & the attackers of big oil should mind thier own business was what i wrote my Senators.

But the hearings on market manipulation with George Soros testifying recently agreed with Bkveen. Yes they should raise the margins on oil,Morgan Stanley[big oil speculator] came off in those hearings like they were grinding the faces of the poor.

No i don't drive a SUV, but from the sounds of F,GM leaders lately not many people will in the future.

Plenty of stuff to trade besides oil contracts on silly margins.Already raised wheat margins, so my comments are limited to oil contracts.
    .And mr Soros did mention supply & demand.

:cool:

#49     Jun 13, 2008
  10. agreed,

#50     Jun 13, 2008