Licensing to trade for others?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by poorboy, Mar 14, 2017.

1. poorboy

poorboy

I'm sure this varies by state, but is there any federal licensing required to either trade other peoples accounts, or trade other peoples money in your account?

2. java

java

Checkout IBs Friends and Family, that's about the best info you will find and you can call them on the phone.

tommcginnis likes this.
  3. comagnum

comagnum

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  4. sle

sle

For sure. Lot's of bullshit that distracts you from the markets and actually making money, so unless it really changes your equation, it's better to avoid hands-on dealing with investors. Also, probability-adjusted you can probably make more money as a trader/PM for an existing OPM setup.

I don't think the OP is anywhere at the stage where he can be expected to successfully run OPM, but we can keep this up as a theoretical discussion.

5. Depends. If it's friends/family, I don't think you need anything. They'd just have to sign off that they give you permission to execute trades. As far as professional money management, I would imagine you'd at least have to have a Series 65.

tommcginnis likes this.
  6. lindq

lindq

Actually, if you trade for family and friends, eventually you'll need...new family and friends.

7. java

java

About 4 years I never showed up at any family function.

8. WEll if you stink and lose their money, then sure.

9. java

java

If you don't stink you have no need for friends or family money.

10. poorboy

poorboy

Thanks guys!

#10     Mar 14, 2017