license purposes for trading

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Boomer, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. Boomer


    i have a few general questions regarding licenses and what each of their purposes are. (series 7, etc.) from prop trading in an office, working at a investment firm and switching to prop, starting a hedgefund, trading retail for your profession, and all other angles. what is needed, and what is not. i know this is general, but i'm just trying to get a broader picture about what can be done with each. i am currently a 3rd year undergrad and know i want to trade, i just dont know through which mean. any help would be appreciated.
  2. seisan


    Here you go - at least a partial answer to your question.

    As you surmise, different positions require different exams.

    Professional trading firms require the Series 7.
    Depending on the state in which in which you reside,
    the Series 63 is also required.
    Not sure, but a few states may require a third exam....

    If you are serious about a trading career, check out this site
    (and others on ET) for your more specific trading firm questions:

    Good luck, Boomer!

    P.S. We expect to see you in the College World Series next June... :cool: