Liberals can’t break 200-year racism habit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mercor, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Brass

Brass

There was no slavery in Canada. In fact, there was an "underground railroad" that helped transport slaves from the US to the safety and freedom of Canada.

http://www.blackhistorycanada.ca/events.php?themeid=21&id=6

#11     Sep 27, 2012
  2. I don't see why all the hatred, made up or just out of frustration, of Canada by some here. Canada has always been our friend, as far as I can recall. Maybe some minor battles of animal pelts a couple hundred years ago, but nothing major. No slavery? I was not aware of that, but a good thing. No need to fight a war over something that was not a problem. Perhaps some of that could spill over to US. Probably not.

#12     Sep 27, 2012
  3. You are full of shit. There was slavery in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Canada
    It was about economics, once Plantation economics had played out the benefit/impetus of slavery would have evaporated as well.

How much of the Canadian economy was Plantation based 1830?

#13     Sep 27, 2012
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Yes there was.

#14     Sep 27, 2012
  5. Brass

Brass

Yes, you are correct, and I was mistaken.

#15     Sep 27, 2012
  6. pspr

pspr

What did Canada do with their slaves? Just release them or ship them back to Africa?

#16     Sep 27, 2012
  7. As they say, we can learn something every day. Interesting: "Slavery which was practiced within Canada's current geography, was practiced primarily by Aboriginal groups. While there was never any significant Canadian trade in African slaves, native nations frequently enslaved their rivals and a very modest number (sometimes none in a number of years) were purchased by colonial administrators (rarely by settlers) until 1833, when the slave trade was abolished across the British Empire."

#17     Sep 27, 2012
  8. As always

#18     Sep 27, 2012
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

Looks like your <s>Goose</s> chicken has come home to roost.

#19     Sep 27, 2012
  10. pspr

pspr

Would that be a Canadian <s>Goose</s> chicken for Brass?

#20     Sep 27, 2012