Liberal Talk Radio

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Well guys, if you want to know why liberal talk radio never catches on, here you go. LOL. Liberals can't do anything right. LOL.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash.htm

STATION OWNER CLAIMS: AIR AMERICA 'BOUNCES CHECK'; LIBERAL RADIO NET TAKEN OFF IN LOS ANGELES, CHICAGO AFTER ONLY TWO WEEKS
    Wed Apr 14 2004 16:18:43 ET

After just two weeks on the air, Air America Radio, the fledgling liberal talk-radio network featuring Al Franken and Janeane Garofalo, appears to have encountered serious cash-flow problems.

The CHICAGO TRIBUNE is developing a story, insiders tell DRUDGE, on how the network was pulled off the air this morning in Chicago and Los Angeles, the network's second- and third-largest markets, because, the owner of both stations said, the network bounced a check and owes him more than $1 million! A charge the network strongly denies.

A Chicago source familiar with the situation said a Multicultural representative showed up at WNTD's offices Wednesday morning, kicked out Air America's lone staffer overseeing the network's feed to the station from New York, switched over to a Spanish-language feed, and changed the locks on the doors...

Air America filed a complaint Wednesday in New York state Supreme Court charging Multicultural with breaching their contract and seeking an injunction to force Multicultural to restore the Air America broadcast on both stations.

2. That leaves Al Frankenslime and Janeane Garafolopagus with what, 4 stations now?

Rush had a bigger audience at his first Sacramento station than that.

There are lies, damned lies . . . . and liberals.

3. Maybe it's only the right wingers that need to be told how and what to think:)

More progressive minds can function without any help. Form their own opinions, make decisions, etc.

And this can leave time to enjoy music in thier cars rather than listening to angry rants.

(Just a theory).

Peace,
    :)RS

4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Now, now RS, you can do better then that. Don't you find it funny that after all this hype over this liberal talk show, all the talk, all the bragging, listening to Al Franken shamelessly plugging this show on every talk show, saying finally liberals in this country will have a voice, this is it, this is their chance. And what do they do? They bounce a check and get shut down in two of their largest markets. I mean how do you bounce a million dollar check? I just find it so funny. It's kind of like the little kid who wants to be a grown up so bad and then when he gets his chance, he falls on his face and shows everyone he is still a little kid. I just find it very very funny. Don't you find it funny RS? :D

5. You want the truth? All I know about it is what I heard here from you.

I couldn't care less about this "issue". Because to me, it isn't an issue at all.

I had not read about it. I didn't care about it. I couldn't have found the show on the radio if I didn't scan every station and get "lucky". Which obviously I never did, because it never occurred to me to try.

But if this is important to you, then good. I hope you bask in the glory of your victory:confused:

Now, if you can find me anyone else who cares (other than to gloat, which I find rather sad....sort of scraping the bottom of the barrel to "make your case"), then I would be impressed. But I doubt anyone cares but you. And perhaps some other "victors". Certainly I cannot imagine anyone with an open mind giving two sh*ts.

But congratulations anyway. I know it means a lot to you. LOL

Peace,

6. Maverick74

Maverick74

RS, it's not that this is a big deal. Actually quite the opposite. It was the liberals that were turning this radio show into the greatest thing to ever happen to their party. I didn't care about it at all. They were making a big deal about it, not me. And btw RS, liberals already have NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, NPR, the NYT, LA Times, Washington Post, Bill Maher, John Stewart, Alan Colmes, Katie Couric, and on and on and on. So it's not like the left doesn't have a voice. LOL.

7. Sounds impressive. Must be something to do with the level of education and maybe entrepreneurial spirtit behind the legitimate press and media (except you said "liberals hate rich people").

Maverick, one day we should talk. I would love to understand what makes you tick:)

You are ok in my book under any circumstances....just a bit misguided...nothing you won't grow out of!

Peace,

8. Maverick74

Maverick74

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/col/story/192671p-166266c.html

Liberal radio is airing bad jokes and worst taste

The United States "is on the slippery slope to theocratic fascism." "The Catholic Church has been secretly encouraging oral sex for years."
    Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld "ought to be tortured." President Bush should be taken out and shot.

Those are a few nutso nuggets from the hosts of Air America Radio, which calls itself the new liberal voice. The fledgling network is carried in New York on WLIB, 1190 AM. With the Iraq torture scandal everywhere, I tuned in, expecting to hear sober policy analysis mixed with glee over President Bush's political pickle.

Instead, I got 10 hours of rancid venom directed at the President, Rumsfeld, Rush Limbaugh, the Catholic Church and anyone else the hosts felt like slamming. If you're a card-carrying lib who likes crude sex jokes and a cartoonish echo chamber, Air America is for you.

Take one host's linking the talk of "pulling out" the troops with the claim that "that's what the Catholic Church says about premarital sex." Ha, ha.

The network aims to give Dems a media organization to counter Limbaugh and others on the right who dominate talk radio. (What, National Public Radio and The New York Times aren't enough?)

The signing of comedian and best-selling author Al Franken gave Air America a liberal drawing card. But if his three-hour show on Monday was typical, he could sink the ship instead of saving it.

Two attempts at humor were offensive. In his "oy, oy show," set to Israeli music, a sidekick reads news reports - in this case, the murder of the Russian-backed president of Chechnya. Franken's role is to pipe up with a lighthearted "oy, oy, oy." Yep, nothing tickles the ribs like assassination.

Franken also imitated a priest giving Communion, saying "Body of Christ" when an imagined pedophile priest was in line but "not for you" when pro-choice politicians came up.

The church was a day-long obsession, as was Limbaugh. He is an "awful man," "a pig" and "a Nazi."

Color me confused. If Franken & Co. hate the pill-popping Limbaugh so much, why imitate his tarpit tone? Sounds like Limbaugh has simply driven them nuts.

Missing was the tension that comes from honest debate. Only Franken had guests voicing even slight distance from the party line, which is that John Kerry is perfect except he should attack Bush more.

The queen of venom, Randi Rhodes, followed Franken in the host slot. Her imitation of a cracker military type telling a soldier to "insert this fluorescent light bulb into that man's buttocks" was revolting. She compared U.S. prisons in Iraq to the "Nazi gulag" and said, "The day I say thank you to Rumsfeld is the same day I'll say thank you to the 12 people who raped me."

Rock bottom came when she compared Bush and his family to the Corleones in the "Godfather" saga. "Like Fredo, somebody ought to take him out fishing and phuw," she said, imitating the sound of gunfire.

During a day of torture by radio, I heard ads for Hewlett-Packard, Greyhound and, especially, General Motors. I asked GM why it appeared in such shows.

Ryndee Carney, GM's manager of marketing communications, said the ads were wrongly picked up from an earlier deal with WLIB. She said the station was ordered to "cease and desist" yesterday, and added: "GM will not advertise on any Air America affiliates."

Originally published on May 12, 2004