Liberal ... (in modern tems)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DoneNDone, Sep 24, 2010.

1. I'm as guilty as the next, the word is thrown around a lot.

My definition of a liberal (and typically I'd add "idiot" in front of it) is someone who defers to the state in all matters.

Ok, my real question is this: Conservatism is actually respected by liberals, while liberalism is absolutely abhorred by conservatives, someone explain this dichotomy...

2. You're confusing liberal with radical leftist. In today's world most people have some liberal points of view, especially on social issues. It is the radical left which wants a marxist style of government dictating our every move. Radical leftists are the problem, not liberals.

3. you could be right. although, JFK was a conservative.

No, I'm quite certain that those who subscribe to the 'liberal' point of view (the modern version anyhow) defer to the State, and hate themselves for doing so.

4. anther thing, true conservatism is closely aligned with libertarianism

so, the 'liberal points of view' as it relates to social issues is a canard

at the risk of being an ass: REDEFINING MARRIAGE, A 5-10-20 THOUSAND YEAR OLD INSTITUTION, IS NOT A VICTIMLESS CRIME

neither is scrambling unborn infants

5. Eight

Eight

I'm still glad I did it.... I had a stack of paperwork that incriminated some liberal twat... I had a chance to cost her tens of thousands in future income per year for the rest of her life.... she bullied me a little so I went for it... got some money out of her in the process too. It is exactly the same thing she wants to do to me but she wants to use the political system to get it done and I just like a more direct form of satisfaction... we should be going after all of them like that, get some investigators, dig up the dirt and use their faces for doormats on the way out...

6. "Liberals got women the right to vote. Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote. Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions ......of elderly people out of poverty. Liberals ended segregation. Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. Liberals created Medicare. Liberals passed the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act. What did Conservatives do? They opposed them on every one of those things...every one! So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, 'Liberal, ' as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, it won't work, Senator, because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor."

Matt Santos, The West Wing

7. Hello

Hello

Conservative opposed the civil rights act???:confused:

unfortunately once again you are on the wrong side of reality Hermit. It was the racist democrats who were trying to block the civil rights act.

Vote totals
    Totals are in "Yea-Nay" format:

The original House version: 290-130 (69%–31%).
    Cloture in the Senate: 71-29 (71%–29%).
    The Senate version: 73-27 (73%–27%).
    The Senate version, as voted on by the House: 289-126 (70%–30%).
    [edit] By party
    The original House version:[11]

Democratic Party: 152-96 (61%–39%)
    Republican Party: 138-34 (80%–20%)
    Cloture in the Senate:[12]

Democratic Party: 44-23 (66%–34%)
    Republican Party: 27-6 (82%–18%)
    The Senate version:[11]

Democratic Party: 46-21 (69%–31%)
    Republican Party: 27-6 (82%–18%)
    The Senate version, voted on by the House:[11]

Democratic Party: 153-91 (63%–37%)
    Republican Party: 136-35 (80%–20%)

9. You may want to look into this

To show a comparison:
    Southern Democratic Senators: 5% approval
    Southern Republican Senators: 0% approval
    Southern Democratic Congressmen: 7% approval
    Southern Republican Congressmen: 0% approval

Northern Democratic Senators: 98% approval
    Northern Republican Senators: 84% approval
    Northern Democratic Congressmen: 94% approval
    Northern Republican Congressmen: 85% approval

The bill divided and engendered a long-term change in the demographics of both parties. President Johnson realized that supporting this bill would risk losing the South's overwhelming support of the Democratic Party. Both Attorney General Robert Kennedy and Vice President Johnson had pushed for the introduction of the civil rights legislation. Johnson told Kennedy aide Ted Sorensen that "I know the risks are great and we might lose the South, but those sorts of states may be lost anyway." Senator Richard Russell, Jr. warned President Johnson that his strong support for the civil rights bill "will not only cost you the South, it will cost you the election."Johnson, however, went on to win the 1964 election by one of the biggest landslides in American history. The South, which had started to vote increasingly Republican beginning in the 1930s, continued that trend and became majority Republican in the 1990s

10. Hello

Hello

Yet again you are busted lying so you try to change the subject, fact of the matter is it was the republicans who passed the bill with racist democrats opposing them every step of the way.

#10     Sep 24, 2010